Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frank67ny Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2005, 11:19 PM
    Honeywell t8624d wiring
    I am trying to replace my old honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell t8624d Chronotherm IV. My old thermostat is the round turning type. I just want to use my new one for a 1 zone heat in basement. There is a red and white wire coming out of the wall. The red is going to the valve and the white is for the relay. How do I connect these 2 wires to the t8624? Is it possible? Will it work? My furnace is a Burnham. Please help if possible. Thanks so much.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2005, 05:54 AM
    According to the wiring instructions, see attached link, the one heat zone needs to connect red wire to R terminal and the white wire to the W1 terminal.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1412.pdf

Oct 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
    Still nothing
    I have a jumper between RC and R, Should the jumper come out. According to your wiring it still does not work. I wired the red to the R and the white wire to the C, The thermostat lcd is on, but the furnace does not turn on when I raise the temperature. Any Ideas? Thanks so much for replying
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 04:34 PM
    Sorry, I looked at the diagram too fast, the stat does need a third wire, the white from the transformer goes directly to the C terminal.This will provide a return for control voltage needed by the thermostat.

Surprised Labman didn't catch that. He knows his HVAC control.

Oct 3, 2005, 05:59 PM
    What about the jumper that I have between the R and the RC, does it need to be there. Although I have the red wire from the valve (in the R terminal) and the white wire to the relay (in the C terminal), the stat is lit up but does not turn on the furnace. I treid raising the temperature on the stat. But furnace does not turn on.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 07:48 PM
    I think the white wire needs to connect to W1, or maybe W2. To power the thermostat, you need the R-RC jumper and perhaps a third wire from the C at the furnace to the C at the thermostat. If the stat goes dead when you pull the white off the C, you have to have a third wire. If you have an unfinished basement or crawl space under everything, fishing another wire in shouldn't be too bad.

Oct 6, 2005, 06:31 PM
    ?
    I'm not much of an expert at this. Where exactly do all three wires go?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2005, 07:53 PM
    OK, thermostat wiring 101:

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

The old thermostat was a simple device that mechanically connected the red and white wires when it called for heat. That completed a circuit from the transformer through the valve and finally back to the transformer by internal wiring. It would have still worked even if the wires were reversed. The new one might too. I am not sure just how, but some of the digital thermostats can work with just the 2 wires. Since yours has the C terminal and the diagram shows it being wired to the transformer, surely you need it. So connect the red wire to the R and RC. Connect the white to the W1. Run a third wire, preferably blue, from the opposite terminal from the red on the transformer to the C terminal on the thermostat.

Oct 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
    Thank you
    I Thank you so much for your feedback. I will do as you said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell T8411R Thermostat Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Someone gave me this digital thermostat which was used & has no instruction papers. I have a Goodman Heating & A/C self contained unit outside for a mobile home. The old thermostat was a 4 wire system with a green wire on the G terminal, red wire on the RC terminal, blue wire on the Y terminal, and...

Need help wiring Honeywell programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 5-2 programmable Honeywell thermostat - replacing my old mercury unit. Have a spilt-system Bryant heat pump. Brown - Br Green - G White - W1 Blue - B Yellow - Y Red - R Connected G, W1, Y and R (not B, not Br). Heat works fine. Just switched to cooling and I only get hot air. Any...

Honeywell RTH230B Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a...

Wiring a Honeywell Chronotherm IV [ 3 Answers ]

What size wiring do you use for a thermostat? I need to move one from an exterior wall to an interior one. Also, any tips on fishing wires through insulation? Bringing it up the wall and over suspended ceiling and down another wall.

Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both...

View more questions Search