Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamawinnertoo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Felon/Probation serving in the Military
    Hello members,

I am new here and look forward to conversing with many of you.

I hope I am not jumping right in with a question that is inappropriate, if so please correct me before I make a fool of myself. I'm really not sure what topic my question comes under.

I was wondering if someone can help me please? I have searched every web site and can find nothing.

My granddaughter is dating a very unsavory character. He is a convicted Felon, on Probation for another year, has two more court dates coming up, just had a 3rd court date (all unrelated charges) and I fear he has mental problems and possibly will harm her. (One of his offenses is for domestic violence).

This guy has been running around (and even went to court on 9/20 for Probation violation, in his military uniform). He has had a military uniform on for 2 solid weeks, stating he is being deployed to Iraq. He says he is in the 101st airborne, army reserves, unit in OH.

Can this be? Can a convicted felon be in the military or own, use, possess, be around firearms? Terms of his Probation says he can't own, be around anyone with a firearm, or possess a firearm. So how can he be in the military?

If he is in the Army Reserves, why has he been home for 9mths, no weekend duty a month?

I know I am asking a lot of questions and I hope they are not inappropriate. I am at my wits end as this guy has my granddaughter so wrapped up in him, she believes everything he tells her and I feel everything that this guy says is a lie.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Sep 22, 2007, 11:05 PM
    I am a Petty Officer With the U.S. Navy. The Military goes by its own set of laws called the Uniform Code Of Military Justice(UCMJ)but the military will honor civilian laws as well.

You can be a convicted felon in the Military, it just depends on the severity of the charges against the individual.

As for him being around firearms that restriction applys both in military and civilain life, As long as his Chain of Command(COC) know about the restriction. If they are aware of this, his COC will take all appropriate measures to make sure his not around firearms.

Now how do you know he does not report in during his weekend duty? If he does not report in the it could be he is in the Military and is AWOL or he could just be lying about the military. Our uniforms are not hard to duplicate if you know what insignias and patches goes on the uniform.

My best advice would to contact the 101st airborne, army reserves, unit in OH and talk to COC. Explain your situation and see if they can help you.

If he is not in the military and you can prove it call the local police because impersonating military member is illegal. I hope this helps you:)

Good luck if you need anything else please feel free to ask
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Another question I would have is... if he is Military, then why is he going through civilian court and not military? I say go along with it and... LET HIM LEAVE... wether it's Iraq or to some unknown place

Sep 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamawinnertoo
    Hello members,

I am new here and look forward to conversing with many of you.

I hope I am not jumping right in with a question that is inappropriate, if so please correct me before I make a fool of myself. I'm really not sure what topic my question comes under.

I was wondering if someone can help me please? I have searched every web site and can find nothing.

My granddaughter is dating a very unsavory character. He is a convicted Felon, on Probation for another year, has two more court dates coming up, just had a 3rd court date (all unrelated charges) and I fear he has mental problems and possibly will harm her. (One of his offenses is for domestic violence).

This guy has been running around (and even went to court on 9/20 for Probation violation, in his military uniform). He has had a military uniform on for 2 solid weeks, stating he is being deployed to Iraq. He says he is in the 101st airborne, army reserves, unit in OH.

Can this be? Can a convicted felon be in the military or own, use, possess, be around firearms? Terms of his Probation says he can't own, be around anyone with a firearm, or possess a firearm. So how can he be in the military?

If he is in the Army Reserves, why has he been home for 9mths, no weekend duty a month?

I know I am asking alot of questions and I hope they are not inappropriate. I am at my wits end as this guy has my granddaughter so wrapped up in him, she believes everything he tells her and I feel everything that this guy says is a lie.
    I would like to thank you for the speedy reply. I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with this site, so I couldn't find how to reply to your answers.

This guy has latched onto my granddaughter like a leech, and goes nowhere without her (he also has a suspended driver's license), so I know for a fact since early March he has not done any "weekend duty", which I thought was a requirement for the Army Reserves & the National Guard.

All of his trouble with the law has been since 2004 - current, and is in Criminal court. That is why I do not believe this guy can be in the military at all.

I certainly hope he does go to Iraq (but wish him no harm there), but at least he will be out of her life for awhile, since all he keeps getting from the courts here is probation.

My thoughts and prayers are with all our military and their families throughout the world, for they are our real heroes.

Thank you again for your speedy replies, answers and information.

Sep 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Like I said before my best advise would be to call his COC and tell them your problem. If he is not a military member call the police. If he is AWOL then call the police because there is probably a warrant out for his arrest.

He can be introuble in crimminal court while in the military. The kicker for that is he will get a punishment under civilain law and for laws broken under the UCMJ. Sort of like a legal double jeaperdy.

Sep 23, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Otto 186,

Once again, thank you for your speedy reply and excellent advice. I have the phone number of the unit he says he is in and will call tomorrow.

I have been searching every Google site I could find and have received more information here in 24hrs, than I found on any site in two months. This is a wonderful site, with such helpful people.

Thank you.

Sep 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Good Luck:)

If you need anymore information please feel free to ask
    amsc1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 12:19 AM
    Can a person that is in the military be convicted of a felony and still stay in the military? Is there any regs or O.I.s that will back up the answer of yes...
    wisconsinfelon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 08:29 AM
    I don't see what the big deal is about felons being in the military. Military service men do more dirty deeds than most because they can get away with it due to their codes of silence and whatnot. Military servicemen get away with the lowest of the lowest because they wear a uniform, instill fear and respect into ordinary people, and have social status. I am a convicted felon, convicted of uttering us currency. I spent 5 years in a correctional facility for that charge. I plead guilty and did my time. Go ahead, call me scum for that as most do. I am one proud american and I would give anything to serve this great country we live in. The problems with recruitment standards in the military is posts like the one above. The mother by nature is concerned, and yes, there are some idiots out there who pose as soldiers because all the ladies come flocking, but I would hope that citizens would be supportive of a felon trying to do right with his life. God forbid we have felons doing something other than fill prison bunks and break the cycle of recidivism. God bless our troops and God bless those who give felons a chance to prove themselves. This IS America after all, the land of second chances.
    teebagem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 12:03 AM
    Am am to a fellon and can't get a job anywere. So how do I get by? I would like so much to join the army but I was told I could not. Why not? We will risk our life so send all the fellons and let us earn back the respect of the community!
    ooobbombbbya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 02:34 AM
    Everyone should have the right to defend his or her country. This isn't a job interview recruits it's a sign up like organ donors. We need to unite to build stronger forces. People make mistakes and need discipline and NOT FROM inmates! I know people that had a misdemeanor and been rejected! I mean I love the pretty uniforms (u wish)- nobody wants to steal from an army base(UNLESS they want to get shot).
    We spend too much money on jails.. think about it sit in jail or protect the US, no inmates escaping only heroes escape, instead of treating them like dogs in cages, train them. Probation can't change someone, jail yeah for the worst, military All right build some self respect to approach society, it's the only way to gain back what they lost by losing themselves, morally speaking they feel like ****. If they **** it up they go to jail, simple. These pity laws made from control freaks build up debt. It cost 55$ a day per person in jail - $1,650 monthly even more in other places. That could be used for something USEFUL. May Jesus Christ bless the USA he always believed in this people no matter what. AMEN!
    America just doesn't know how strong we could be by working together most inmates are proud to be American and would love to kick enemies asses, It would benefit USA greatly.

“high volume of prisoners will cost the American tax payers .5 billion... There are 46000 inmates in P.A and is spent on each inmate per day”
    “ nearly 1 out of 8 U.S. drug prisoners are locked up for pot.. . costing taxpayers another $8 billion dollars annually:”
    Ridiculous China is going to stop loaning us money, we need to be proactive about this the government needs to do something besides rob the American people more, we're broke POLICTIONS. THNK

Recruiter “hey bad cash checker want to skip out on jail and help your country”
    Dog in cage “uh sure why not! Sounds like fun.. learn something new everyday”
    Recruiter “hey stone brain want to sever your country instead of time:”
    Dog in cage “hey that's what I wanted to do in the first place”

Don't build prisons for petty law breakers build boot camps, Have a nice day
    aquarius1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 02:56 AM
    I want to join the army but when I was a nave young 16 year old I got arrested because I stole 20 bucks from a kid got in a fight at the beach, I had to go to court my lawyer told me to plea guilty which I did and received no punishment and my record stayed clean but would the army see the guilty plea as a conviction to the original offense... I am now almost 18 and I want to join the army, does anyone know if I will be able to enlist? I mean can I enlist without a waivor, I have also heard that if you were a convicted juvenile that the military would dismiss the offense after 5 years with no other offenses committed in those 5 years. If anyone has an idea about this I would greatly appreciate your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a felon go to the uk [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were planing to go to london for my b day next year I was wondering if conficted felons can go to the uk

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Felon on Probation [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if a Felon is on Probation in FL how to get there Probation Officer to have them drug tested for more than cocaine or marj.

Marble Serving Trivets for Hot Dishes [ 1 Answers ]

This isn't about cooking per se, but I didn't know what other category to put it in. I am looking for nice trivets for serving hot dishes (casseroles, lasagna, etc.) on the table. I have seen some attractive marble ones in some cookware stores and catalogs, but I'm not sure if marble can...

View more questions Search