Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CynthiaB Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Looking for friendship.
    :confused: I live in WV and in a community, I'm sorry to say is where I can't make friends. I swear to the Lord above that the people here are back-stabbing, liars, gossipers and drunks. My husband is in jail. I've been in WV for seven years and all I've done was work. I am not working now and I would like to know where to go to meet people. I think I'm a fairly nice person with a good heart. I am full of empathy and really do feel other peoples joy and pain. I really feel stupid asking where to find friends. Bars are no place I want to be. I would look suspicious hanging out in some kind of store which I would probably not enjoy, nor a laundrymat. I have no family to turn to. I have a problem with shyness and starting conversations. Mostly because my life is sooo boring I don't know what to say. Is there anyone who has a good suggestion?:confused: painfully lonely, CynthiaB
    shizukamelodi Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I'll be your friend :)

Sep 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by shizukamelodi
    i'll be ur freind :)
    shizukamelodi, You're a sweetie. Thanks for your reply. I would like to be your friend also. It would be great to visit your land but of course finance won't let me. Got any idea's on a type of place to go for something to do and people to meet? Any at all? West Virginia is a lot of trees and cities are few. I still wouldn't know what to do in a city. Is that pothetic or what? How old are you and what do you do for fun?:rolleyes: Ur new friend, CynthiaB
    shizukamelodi Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Hi, I'm 14 lol. I normally just go to social gatherings but if there's not any maybe try some chatroom to get in touch with the people close to your village. I have 8 animals so I normally amuse myself with them. Try and get a puppy or something.lol.

Sep 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
    :eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by shizukamelodi
    hi, im 14 lol. i normally just go to social gatherings but if there's not any maybe try some chatroom to get in touch with the people close to your village. I have 8 animals so i normally amuse myself with them. Try and get a puppy or somthing.lol.
    :eek: I am quite your senior. I'm 47yrs. Young. I have 5 dogs and 1 cat that lives outside. Two of my dogs live outside. I enjoy my pets but I wish they could talk english or that I could talk dog language. Know what I mean? Just imagine how looney I would be without them. Pets are better than no one at all. I've got a big screen TV but that gets boring after awhile. I would like to go back to school but have no idea what I what to take. It's not like I have years to invest. It takes 5-7 yrs. To become a counselor. I'm afraid I won't be able to type fast enough to become a medical transcriptionist. I have taken a medical assisting class in the past but didn't finish with the externship so that blew my diploma for that. I did get straight a's in medical terminology. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon. That you so very much for your support. Sounds like you'll grow up to be a fine young lady! Love you dearly, not queerly! Lol:p
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 06:26 PM
    What about church? Or if you volunteered your time somewhere in your community?

Sep 23, 2007, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    What about church? Or if you volunteered your time somewhere in your community?
    :o I haven't found a church yet although I have visited a couple. Please don't take this the wrong way but if I was an OLD lady then filling my time with volunteering would be great. I've done factory jobs all my life but I have been abusive to my body to where I can't be on my feet for 8 or more hours a day. When I say abusive I mean motorcycle accident when I was 17, car accident in my twenties, and a 4 wheeler accident in my 40's. My pelvis and especially my right leg have suffered. I have been having a hard time keeping interested for any length of time in things. I need a psycologist but at 100 and some odd dollars an hour that is just another problem. Isn't life grand? I appreciate all of ya'lls responses. I really do. I'm at least reaching people. Please keep the idea's and communication coming. All you people can be my psycologist. Thanks shygrneyzs! :D CynthiaB
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
    You are welcome. About volunteering, you do not have to be an old lady to do that, but I understand what you are saying. Good luck getting out there to meet people. Have you ever thought of taking an adult education class - just one for starters?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Hi Cynthia,

I am not sure what to suggest as social interactions as I am from a very different culture and when we do not have friends to talk to we get to visit relatives who maybe living nearby.

Have you tried your hands at crafts?Just something to fill your time.Painting maybe?How about writing.

But then if you are here at AMHD, you will get to know so many wonderful people and interact with them regarding different topics of interest.

How about support groups in your area,maybe against teen suicides,or support for physically disabled people, women against violence, etc just to name a few.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 08:19 AM
    I really hope you look again at volunteering for good causes, as you will meet a wide range of good people, and be involved with some great organisations, and taking a class would also help your employment qualifications, and there are many programs aimed at helping defray the costs of school, and books. Don't be shy just get out there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Heck, I volunteer a lot for many different things. My age in years is only 43, but in my mind I'm 23. Volunteering is an AWSOME way to get out and meet people.

As Tal said about school, there are many programs out there that help you with costs. I am nursing student and pay zero for my school and books, and NO they aren't loans I will have to pay back. Only thing I pay for is gas to get to and from classes. You too may qualify for these programs. The federal government provides grants of all kinds, you may just be able to qualify for some or all of them.

Sep 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I really hope you look again at volunteering for good causes, as you will meet a wide range of good people, and be involved with some great organisations, and taking a class would also help your employment qualifications, and there are many programs aimed at helping defray the costs of school, and books. Don't be shy just get out there.
    :) Yes I do agree. I love the idea of helping others. Your right, I just need to get out there. I've also been looking at different scholorships. My biggest problem is deciding what to take. I have many interests. I just what to be sure of the choice I make since I am age 47. I have trouble making decisions. I supposedly am Bipolar which adds to the pain of the thought process. Where do I look for the organizations in which I can volunteer some time? Maybe if I found the volunteer program that I enjoy, that could lead me to the right choice of schooling I wish to pursue. You all have got me thinking know. I love good people and am thankful for good people. God bless you all! :cool: CynthiaB
    hahajamiexlyn Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaB
    :confused: I live in WV and in a community, I'm sorry to say is where I can't make friends. I swear to the Lord above that the people here are back-stabbing, liars, gossipers and drunks. My husband is in jail. I've been in WV for seven years and all I've done was work. I am not working now and I would like to know where to go to meet people. I think I'm a fairly nice person with a good heart. I am full of empathy and really do feel other peoples joy and pain. I really feel stupid asking where to find friends. Bars are no place I want to be. I would look suspicious hanging out in some kind of store which I would probably not enjoy, nor a laundrymat. I have no family to turn to. I have a problem with shyness and starting conversations. Mostly because my life is sooo boring I don't know what to say. Is there anyone who has a good suggestion?:confused: painfully lonely, CynthiaB
    Hi, I'm actually from West Virginia.

I don't know what part you live in but on Smith Street is the Appalachian Power Park, a baseball park where the WEst virginia power team plays quite often
    WVPOWER.com, The Online Home of the West Virginia Power

Here is the website if you are interested... the people there are REALLY friendly and if you sit in a section called "rowdy alley" right by 3rd base then I can guarantee you'll have fun and maybe even run into my older brother. Plus, it only cost $5 to get in.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Start with churches, and hospitals, and schools, and then go to fund raising organizations, like the Red Cross etc. Omigosh you'll love it.
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
    You mentioned that you are "supposedly bi-polar". Have you been diagnosed? If not, that would be to your best interest to see your doctor and ask for the mental health referral so that you can access treatment.

You can access online information from the National Institute of Mental Health - NIMH - at
    NIMH · Home and read through the information on bi-polar. Your state should also have a Mental Health Association. Below are some links to mental health help in WV:

http://www.mha-kanawha.org/links.html
    Public Web
    http://www.wvdhhr.org/bhhf/adultmh.asp - scroll down to links mental health information

If you are bi-polar then you deserve to have treatment.

You asked also about where to volunteer? Pet shelters, senior centers, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, boy and/or girl scouts, big sister programs, youth mentorship, women's shelter, thrift store, Salvation Army, the list goes on. If you have a United Way, call there and ask if they have a list of organization looking for volunteers.

About schooling - check your local Job Service out or if you have a community college or adult education.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When a friendship goes to far [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone think that it's normal for a married man who's 35 to have a frienship with a 20 year old co worker girl for them to text page one another and call each other, also when the wife goes to the job and then she sees his wife and she gets very upset and storms out of the job and slams her...

Does he want more than friendship? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been friends with a guy for just over 4 months now, we met off the internet. He always texts me every week, and we usually go the movies and dinner. We get on really well together and have a lot of fun. The thing is, he's a very touchy feely guy and always has been for the time I've...

Confusing Friendship [ 7 Answers ]

I have a friend who seems to have a few problems with/about me. Firstly we have had a few fights in the past about her problems with/in life but when I try to talk to her about my problems it seems as though she doesn't want to listen to me and doesn't care about them. Every time her parents...

Now she only wants friendship? [ 10 Answers ]

We broke up 6 months ago, she was my first love, if I try the no contact for three weeks, she calls me, wanting to be just "friends" and talk about "friendly things"... we were together for 8 months long distance. I want her back, It literally makes me sick to think about her with new guys still....

Should I Risk A Friendship? [ 15 Answers ]

I just finished my senior year of high school and have been best friends with this AMAZING guy since I was in elementary school. We developed strong feelings for each other and decided to take a risk(on our strong friendship) and see if dating could work. At first, it was going great until I...

View more questions Search