Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manny2c Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2005, 11:45 AM
    Ourside light
    Hello There

I have an outside light above my garage door and it went out last night. I checked the bulb and it seems OK (this is one of those 8 or 9 dollar "ouch" bulbs) anyway I also pulled the photo cell from the top of the lamp. It dates back to 1992 and according to the number of years it should have died in 2002. Anyone out there know where I can buy one on line, hoping it does not cost more then the whole lamp. Any info will be appreciated, just a working stiff trying to make a living. :)

Thanks

Manny
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2005, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by manny2c
    Hello There

I have an outside light above my garage door and it went out last night. I checked the bulb and it seems ok (this is one of those 8 or 9 dollar "ouch" bulbs) anyway I also pulled the photo cell from the top of the lamp. It dates back to 1992 and according to the number of years it should have died in 2002. Anyone out there know where I can buy one on line, hoping it does not cost more then the whole lamp. Any info will be appreciated, just a working stiff trying to make a living. :)

Thanks

Manny
    Without a photo can't know exactly what you are trying to replace but do know that Home Depot (and others) sell replacement motion sensors and even if it doesn't fit/match what you are trying to replace, you can get it to work with virtually any lamp.

Sep 30, 2005, 12:49 PM
    I have 3 of those lights and the sensor, which is a dusk to dawn (comes on at night or when dark.) is 3" dia. by 2" tall cup with the line /load / neut prongs that insert to the top of the light connector, with the clear sensor on one side of the cup to detect light/dark. It has no part no other then a install & remove and a series of '92 to '02 and the 12 months around the prongs. Like they say, one picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't got no picture.

Thanks
    I'll look for it at home depot and Lowe's

Manny
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 01:40 PM
    If you don't find them there, try an electrical supply house. Contractors buy their stuff from electrical supply houses that carry different brands than Lowe's, Home Depot, and the hardwares. That way, the home owner never can find the parts and ends up throwing things away that just need a part.

Oct 2, 2005, 04:40 PM
    Hey Guys Home Depot has them for 10.95 not a bad deal considering they last about 10 years. The taking off and reinstalling a new lamp is also a pain, so it sure is a big savings not having to do so and just unscrew and screw the new photo cell on.

Thanks

Manny :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

Gas light [ 4 Answers ]

How much gas does a gas lamp post use per month? Don

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search