Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csteele Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Do washer drain pipes need a sewer trap?
    My hubby has moved our washer and dryer and it works - mostly. We have some soapy foam coming out of the top of the drain pipe. He raised the pipe and we have less, but still some soapy foam. I wish I had checked your forum earlier as I've learned that washers drain with a lot of pressure. Could it be the sewer trap he built that is slowing it down or how high should our drain pipe be. I see where you told someone it could be 7' high. We don't need to go that far, but if the sewer trap does need to stay there, how high should the top of the drain pipe be from the sewer trap?

I also see where if you drain it the same drain as your kitchen sink you could get backup. We raised the drain pipe so it has a little slope to go down the drain and we haven't seen a leak there. We do want to replace our garbage disposal and so we haven't run the garbage disposal since moving the washer - do you think we'll have a problem when we're ready to replace the garbage disposal?

Please answer in the next 4 hours so I can show hubby how smart I am :p
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2005, 08:50 AM
    By "sewer trap" = "P" trap? The average height of a washer stand pipe is 36" off the floor, ( or 1 inch over the rim of the washer) providing the " off the floor, ( or 1 inch over the rim of the washer) providing the " trap is installed next to the floor.
    You ask, " do you think we'll have a problem when we're ready to replace the garbage disposal?" trap is installed next to the floor.
    You ask, " I hope) then either the standpipe isn't long enough or there's a partial blockage in the drain line.
    regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offsetting a shower drain trap? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such...

P-trap to outside sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing an above ground swimming pool and have been told by the city that we must install a permanent drain line / p-trap to the sewer lines. My husband called a plumber and thought he understood what he needed to do. Now the plumber has come to the house and said it is done all wrong...

Trap for washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bad smell behind our washer. After much research, I am beginning to think that it is coming from the washer drain pipe. Is it possible that it is sewer gas coming back up through the pipe? Do washer drain pipes have traps? We live on a slab. We have the wall ripped out behind the washer...

Tub drain to P trap [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am replacing the tub in my bathroom, as well as much of the drain line. I am replacing the galvanized(?) pipe and drum trap with 2" PVC, a Vent, and a P-Trap.. my problem is how do i install the Tub drain to the P-trap. The tub drain assembly is 1 1/2" or so.. and the P-Trap is 2".. I got a...

Sewer trap cover [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, We have a terra cotta pipe in our front yard leading down to the sewer lateral line (is this called the "sewer trap"?). This pipe has, until recently, had a round terra cotta cover on it... eight inches in diameter and 3/4" thick in this case. Clay being what it is, this cover has...

View more questions Search