terminator05 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Symbol meanings
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the following symbols stood for:

1. The Eye of Ra
    2. The Egyptian Ankh
    Ygramul Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Sep 21, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I believe the Eye of Ra acts as both a protective signal and a reminder of the omnificence of Ra. The Egyptian Ankh is the general hyroglyph for life.
    terminator05 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Thanks, do you know where I can get a picture of the Egyptian symbol of death?
    Kailan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Hi,

The Eye of Ra is known as the Udjat or Wedjat. It is the Eye of Ra or the Eye of Horus. As a symbol, it is protective and generally lucky.

The Eye of Ra is sometimes synonymous with the Sun itself. In particular, the Sun-disc, which was, in some texts, considered to be the right eye of the Sun-god, Horus. Some stories describe the Sun as an Eye. In one creation myth, humankind was created from the tears shed by the Sun. This myth is based on word play between the Anicen Egyptian words for "tears" and for "people."

In an early myth, the god-king, Osiris, was killed by his brother Seth, and was later healed by his son, Horus, who fed (!) Osiris his eye! Clearly, by this time, the Eye was considered to have healing properties. Other versions of this myth have Horus fighting his uncle, Seth. In battle, Seth injures Horus' left eye. This eye (the left) is associated with the Moon.

The Eye also has feminine associations. As the sun-disc, it is the womb in which the sun-child develops. At night, it travels through the body of the sky goddess, Nut, and the Sun is then born in the morning.

Ra's daughter, Sekhmet, is known as his Eye. She is a goddess of both detstruction and protection. In one myth, Ra sent her forth to destroy all of mankind. She is called upon in times of war. She is a lion goddess. However, the roles of Egyptian goddesses are often very fluid and, although this story is most often quoted with the goddess, Sekhmet, in the principle role, she is interchangeable with the goddesses, Tefnut and Mafdet.

Many Egyptian texts refer to Ra sending out his Eye. As a protective symbol the Eye is, at times, synonymous with the cobras worn on the brow of the king, which are said to spit fire at the kings enemies. This is the usually the meaning when texts refer to the Eye being worn on the forehead.

The ankh is the Egyptian symbol for life. No-one is completely sure of what it depicts - perhaps the knot of a sandal. Again, it is a lucky symbol. Gods and kings are shown carrying the ankh and, in some situations, kings are shown being purified by having ankhs poured over them, like water.

The Egyptians were very superstitious and much preferred symbols of life and luck to those of death! The Egyptian word for death was "mwt," pronounced something like "moot." It would have been spelt with the glyph of a mummified body.

The closest to a symbol of death might be the jackal-headed god, Anubis. He was actually the symbol of a successful burial and resurrection in the afterlife, So was a symbol of hope rather than despair. Jackals probably roamed through the ancient necropolis - hence his appearance. He is shown either as a jackal or as a jackal-headed man and his Egyptian name would have been pronounced something like "anpu." He is closely related to another jackal-headed god - Wepwawet - whose name means "the Opener of the Ways" because he was believed to open the paths to the Afterlife for the dead.

Hope this helps. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dreams and Meanings [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone think dreams have special meanings?? especially if you ave de same one in a row in one night telling me not to get back wit my boyfriend after you had told him ud get back wit him before you went 2 bed?.

OLD 220v Aluminum Wire Colors and meanings [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am rewireing an outlet for my stove. 220v 30 amp service. I would like to know what the colors mean. Four wires: 1 black 1 red 1 blue? 1 twisted bare aluminium This wire is to code in my area, (Anchorage AK) I just do not know the hots and the extra ground to connect the outlet.

Meanings of my Feelings [ 1 Answers ]

Some days back I happened to speak to a guy, and we continued taking to each other over the phone we both were very much interested in talking to each other. We met once after that went for a movie and kissed each other. After few days he reduced giving call drastically and I started missing him...

Meanings of baseboard wiring colors [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how to hook up a three wire baseboard heating system to a thermostat the colors are white, green, and red. When I touch the white and red together the heater turns on and when I touch the green and white the heater turns off. I just recently bought a new programmable thermostat and...

Phrase meanings [ 0 Answers ]

I am 8th grade, What is the following mean: 1."who is on you when you made mistake?" 2."you are in the big shoes." Thanks, I try to finish my assigment:) :( .

View more questions Search