Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ham48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Affair over?
    While not married, my girlfriend and I have lived together for 7 years now. We are officially engaged, but she has put off marriage for financial reasons that I can understand. This summer though, she had an affair. I finally figured it out from all the lies, working late, needing to be "alone" , etc. There were also a lot of other signs that something was going on including a forgotten birthday and a very indifferent attitude. Anyway I finally confronted her with my suspicions and she denied it totally. Okay, but the next weekend she had to have some "alone time" again and when she came home she had obviously not been alone. Confrontation again and denial once again.
    About 4 weeks ago all of this suddenly ended. She became friendly, talkative and our sex life became much better than before. She appears to be going where she says she is and doing what she says she is going to do, etc, and communication seems to be good once again. Now I don't want to seem really clueless here, but is this a sign that the affair is over? Or, has my confrontation simply driven it underground? Or are we on the way to recovery? It's very difficult to talk with her about something that never "happened" so I can't seem to get the subject opened up with her. Not sure whether to pack my bags or not at this point. Still taking a wait and see position.
    Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Its over... if she's running around on you now do you honestly think she would stop if she was married?

Now the question can you forget about it... that will be an indication of if you should stay or go. Otherwise its going to be a major issue for a long time to come.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 01:11 PM
    If you honestly think she was having an affair... it seems that its over now. Her actions are now solely concentrated on you, and not spread between 2 men.

But you are not on the road to recovery... you can't recover if she hasn't admitted to doing anything wrong.

And you need to think... at this point, if she was in fact having an affair, she thinks she got away with it. What makes you think she won't assume she can get away with it again once you're married?

Sep 21, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    If you honestly think she was having an affair...it seems that its over now. Her actions are now solely concentrated on you, and not spread between 2 men.

But you are not on the road to recovery.....you can't recover if she hasn't admitted to doing anything wrong.

And you need to think...at this point, if she was in fact having an affair, she thinks she got away with it. What makes you think she won't assume she can get away with it again once you're married?
    Thanks for your resonse. She did get caught and she ended it immediately after I called her on her last escapade. It's upsetting that she didn't admit it though. The bad tooth explanation for her breath was laughably weak and I'm sure she knew she was busted. By the way, I've never smelled it since. Still, if she's out shopping around or messing around then trust becomes a serious issue. I wish I knew some way to get her to talk to me about it. Otherwise trust may be defining and ending factor of what I thought was a really good relationship.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ham48
    I wish I knew some way to get her to talk to me about it. Otherwise trust may be defining and ending factor of what I thought was a really good relationship.
    You need to tell her this!!

If you are 100% sure she was having an affair, and there is no doubt in your mind that she was lying about it, you need to sit her down and talk to her.

She may be afraid to "come clean" in fear of losing you.

If you sit her down and talk to her, tell her you know she was having an affair, but that you want to work through it, that might give her enough safegaurd to fess up about it.

Only when she admits to the affair can you both begin to rebuild your relationship.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Regardless the relationship is over. Relationships are about trust and communication. I don't see either one of those in this relationship.

If she won't communicate about your fears and concerns, she is not into this relationship as much as you think she may be. If it's not talked about and handled properly, you will build anger and resentment in years to come, if not sooner.

Apparently she does not want to make this relationship work if she won't admit this to you and communicate with you.

Sep 21, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    You need to tell her this!!!!

If you are 100% sure she was having an affair, and there is no doubt in your mind that she was lying about it, you need to sit her down and talk to her.

She may be afraid to "come clean" in fear of losing you.

If you sit her down and talk to her, tell her you know she was having an affair, but that you want to work through it, that might give her enough safegaurd to fess up about it.

Only when she admits to the affair can you both begin to rebuild your relationship.
    I will give that an honest try this weekend. I really would like to save this relationship and I really do love her or I wouldn't still be hanging around at this point. As to whether she had an affair, if she had the list of "affair symptoms" posted right in front of her she couldn't have followed it better. The only thing I didn't do was actually catch them together, guess I blew the whistle too soon for that. Trust is so important that it may really be the deciding factor in whether we go on or not. We'll see what happens.
    Thank you
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Well good luck :)
    LivingtheLifeinFLA Posts: 137, Reputation: 29

Sep 21, 2007, 03:08 PM
    What you need to do is put a gps tracker in her car. They are available at spy shops. Then track her to see if she's telling the truth and where she is for the next few months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He's had an affair, what now? [ 52 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for over 12 years/married for 11. We have a young child. I have been at home with our child all of her life. About 2 years ago, I found out the he was having an affair. He said that it never turned physical. If nothing else, it was an emotional affair. Well,...

How do I get over his affair? [ 8 Answers ]

We have been married for 6 years... when we first started dating my husband continued to have sex with his ex-wife up until shortly after we were married-- because he has a child with her we still have her in our lives.. I am trying with everything that I have to be over this-- but I am finding...

Been having an affair [ 18 Answers ]

I have been seeing a married man for almost four yrs now, we never go anywhere he just comes round for a chat and it inevitably ends up in bed. He finds it hard to show his emotions and says he doesn't love anyone not even his wife. He becomes protective of her if I ask questions and says we...

Affair [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice on getting over an affair ?

View more questions Search