Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windysnow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2005, 10:52 AM
    State tax-move from MA to CA
    I just moved from MA to CA this month.

Shall I file tax for both?

MA honor the treaty of 5000$ exemption. I'm F1 OPT from China.
    What about CA?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2005, 11:26 AM
    WindySnow:

If you earned income in Massachusetts and will earn income in California, then you must file state tax returns in each state.

Ideally, you will pay taxes to MA only on income earned in MA, and pay taxs to CA only on income earned in CA.

However, due to the complexity of both states' tax returns, I strongly recommend that you have a competent tax professional prepare these returns for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should be my next move? [ 14 Answers ]

What should be my next move? Hey all! This is my first post and I just want to say that this seems to be a great forum! :) Anyway here is my problem. This is going to be a looooong post so if you want a shorter version, please tell me. Even though I think its best if you know the...

State to state garnishing [ 1 Answers ]

Can the North Carolina Dept. of Revenue legally seize property, garnish wages or bank accounts of a South Carolina resident? Also, all property, wages, and accounts are in South Carolina.

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Ex wants to Move & Take Son [ 4 Answers ]

I live in CA (with my wife of 7 years, our 2 children, and my step-son) and I have joint legal and 33% physical custody of my 8 year-old son with my ex-girlfriend (even though I get him a lot more than 33%, that percentage is what is on the court orders). My ex recently married a man in the Army,...

I can't get my EX to move on [ 4 Answers ]

My EX keeps talking to me about working things out. She pukes at the idea of me being with a new girl. She has a new Boy friend I tell her be with him she tells me I want you. If I iqnore her then she seems to try harder. This has been the worst break up ever. I am having trouble letting her go. I...

View more questions Search