Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 21, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Opinions Needed
    I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Myself and another coworker answer to two bosses. #1 is the manager, #2 is a Supervisor. My coworker is very social and does not fill her day in a productive manner. There are a lot of details I won't bore you with, but she has been spoken to about her behavior and lack of work. I know this because both #1 and #2 have each involved me with my coworkers issues. At one point I was asked to "evaluate" her efficiency. Another time I was forced to travel with her to another office to watch her perform her duties.

I am equal to my coworker in status but I do not have similar job tasks what-so-ever. Though I voiced my displeasure at being thrown into that situation to boss #1 and #2, it was made clear that they disagreed with me and I was forced to learn my coworkers basic job so I could monitor her and make judgements. (My coworker IS aware of what's going on) I now have to take on one of her duties because they don't "trust" her to do it any longer.

Now my coworker is doing things to provoke me. I believe its because she resents the position I've been put in.
    I share an office with two other women. Today, this coworker came in, shut our open door and claimed, "I'm bored. I have enough work to do, but I'm bored so I'm gonna sit in here for a while." We ignored her while she sat with us, crunching chips with her mouth open and tapping her finger nails.

I don't want to tell on her... I've been forced to evaluate her actual job duties and I don't feel its my place to tell on her for something like this. However, she's been doing this sort of thing, interupting our work, a LOT in the last few weeks and that isn't right either.

What would you do in my situation?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 09:28 AM
    I think you know that I'm an HR person and I can tell you that I would want an employee to come to me with this kind of thing. For example I was really good friends with a co-worker and she would ask my opinion "off the record" she told me that she knew there were a few employees who were seriously slacking off and she didn't know what to do because she didn't want to "tattle". I encouraged her to say something to me "officially" - most HR people and managers want to know when there is a break down in work.

Now more specifically to your situation your managers have put you into position to be a supervisor of sorts to this co-worker. What you have observed is distracting behavior that is disrupting the work of three other people in the company. What she is doing is insanely counterproductive and is wasting the companies time and money. I would talk to one of your bosses and say something along the lines of you don't want to get her in trouble but you find that when this co-worker takes breaks that she tends to be disruptive to you and other employees. Clearly this is information that is not new to your bosses they know this woman is disruptive.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 21, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Thank you, Glinda. Its good to have the perspective of someone who has professional experience such as yours. :) (sorry, I've got to spread the rep)

You gave me a great example of how to word it when I speak to someone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Have the other 2 women in the room, say something. If it comes from multiple people it may have an greater effect.

Another option is to have a sitdown with this co-worker and lay down the law. Tell her, that you have been put in the position of evaluating her performance. It wasn't something you asked for but you aren't going to jeopardize your job by refusing. Tell her if it comes down to her or your own job, your job wins hands down. So if she wants to quit then do so. If she wants to get fired, then continue along the same path she has been taking. Explain that the responsibility for her actions is hers alone.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Agree with Scott,'

Privately, honestly tell this co-worker what their job duties are [if you have a written document,] and what areas need improvement.

Sometimes firing an employee can be a legal minefield for employers, maybe a video of said co-worker's "productivity" would be concrete evidence needed.

Just guessing here. Oh, whatever happens, make sure you are doing your job to the best of your abilities. Office politics and retaliation may be possible.

Grace and Peace
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
    No going back. You've been used by #s 1 and 2 to evaluate a fellow worker. You've been used to identify specific work issues involving a fellow worker and your now being used to down size the responsibilities of your fellow employee which will push her out the door. Well # 1 and # 2 are very bright. They turned you into a manager, a human resource professional and now your responsibilities have increased. Congratulations on your advancements, your increased salary and enhanced benefits. Just another day at the office. I bet your fellow worker finds an environment rich in motivation and I hope she ends up with a Pulitzer some day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need as many opinions as possible! [ 7 Answers ]

I had posted a message on this site before because me & my boyfriend had fooled around & I thought there was a great possibility that I was pregnant (you may want to go back and read the whole story). I waited for about 2 weeks after my missed period and pregnancy symptoms started, and then finally...

Needs some opinions [ 7 Answers ]

Hey all I was just looking for different advice chats and found this website and I have a few issue I can use some advice on. I have been dating my girfriend now for almost 3 years. We fight like any other couple nothing to serious. Problem is that I pretty much build a life around her wondering...

Need some of your opinions! [ 2 Answers ]

So I have been seeing this girl... It started inocent enough and moved quickly to sexual. We were very cuddly and the sexual part was fantastic. She did tell me right from the start that she had just gotten out of a messy relationship with a guy that she moved across the country to be with. Now...

Any opinions ? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I was kind of with this girl in the summber but we both went on vacation like she went on a week or seomthing. Day she came back I left for mine for 2 weeks than when I came back she left again.. so we started fighting and things changed. Didn't talk to her for awhile saw her around and saw...

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

View more questions Search