Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giatex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Home sale - capital gains tax?
    I am selling my home in NYS and will have a gain within the exclusion amount of $250,000. I was the owner listed on the title even though the property was owned by myself and my mother. (I did this because I applied for the loan by myself.)

She provided the down payment and we both paid the monthly mortgage. I did not live in the home or in NY state more than 13 months of the 2 year requirement. However, she did. Can I still take the exclusion - perhaps assign the sale to her?

I did have twins at the end of 2006 and for financial reasons I need to now sell the home. If I can't take the full exclusion can I take a partial at least?

I'm hoping I can assign the sale to mom being that se did live there about 8 years now.

Do I need to provide proof that I lived there for 13 months? I did not work in NYS at the time. I was on FMLA with my babies.

Any advise will be soooo appreciated. Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
    I think you're stuck with the capital gains, since you own the home and you do not meet the requirement of living in the home for at least 2 of the previous 5 years. The fact that your mother paid some of the mortgage is immaterial - you are the owner, not her, hence you are the seller as well.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Whose name was on the title? THAT is the critical issue, NOT who paid the loan.

It looks like you ARE stuck with the capital gains UNLESS you can show extenuating circumstances for moving out of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital gains tax [ 1 Answers ]

I baught a house for £208,00 in 1999 and sold for £475,000 in 2006. I let two of the bedrooms as b/b accommodation this was our only residence. We baught a house for £307,000 do I have to pay capital gains tax on the the excess that I banked

Capital gains tax [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house in 2001 for 75K.I have made improvements to it and can now sell it for about 170K.I owe about 100K after cashing out some money.If I sell it,am I taxed on the sale amount,the increased value or on the profit I made after the improvements?Also,if my intention is to purchase another...

View more questions Search