Sep 29, 2005, 07:37 AM
    what dvds do i need
    I have a atapi dvd2x16x4x16 dvd+rdl dvd+re writeable dvdr/rw
    ultra speed

what are the best dvd blanks I should use please
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 07:52 AM
    I just buy whatever's on special. I've had no more problems with the cheapies than I have with the name brand expensive ones.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Just to add to Rick's answer - it does look like your PC can handle most DVD formats. It all depends on how much data you need to store and if you intend to play these DVD's on a standard DVD player. Providing the exact make and model of your DVD recorder would allow us to be more exact as well.

Here's a page with some info on the different DVD formats: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/news...ters_0504.html

If I were you, I'd do what Rick said - Just look around for a nice spindel of DVD+R's at a good price. Try and go for a brand you have heard of as the quality of disks does vary between brands. Also if something looks insanely cheap - stay away. They won't be much good.

I also recommend in purchasing a couple of DVD+RW as you can use these again and again.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Dvd
    Hi,
    Just a suggestion; check out Walmart for good, reasonable prices on a pack of 50 or whatever. The cheapest offered as just as good as expensive ones.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 06:19 AM
    And to note; when I'm in Staples or OfficeMax I frequently see a rebate on a 50 or 100 pack... sometimes even making it free... but more frequently making it 25-50% of the standard cost.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    The cheapest offered are just as good as expensive ones.
    I disagree Fred. I brought the following from Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

£20 for 100 DVD's is pretty cheap. Unfortunately I don't think many that I have tried have actually worked :( Looks like I'm not the only one having problems. The cheapest option probably won't be the best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2005, 10:34 AM
    I have to agree with LT here. There is an issue of quality in the coating of CD disks. Cheaper disks don't have the quality control that more expensive disks do. This quality control is more apparent in DVDs then in CDs, but it still exists.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2005, 05:43 AM
    DVD Quality
    Hi,
    After reconsideration and rethinking, I agree with others who say the "cheaper" brands are not always as good.
    Go with a brand or pack of DVD's or even CD-R's that are NOT the cheapest. Usually, you can't lose with Memorex.
    After thinking about this, I have had a few CD-R's not burn, due to them being the cheapest ones I bought at the time. Later, using Memorex, I have not had any problem. The quality control of the cheaper brands is not as good as others.
    Best wishes, and thanks for the reminders.
    fredg

Oct 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
    Very good Fred. See that wasn't so hard. There is nothing wrong in admitting others may have a better answer. Its much better to make sure the correct advice is given out, then to try to salve your ego by attacking anyone who corrects your answer.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2005, 03:52 AM
    Hello,
    The last person posting here, before this post, has a signature of "please let us know is this helps". So, I am letting you know.
    This is directed at that person.
    Thank you for the compliment. But, it would have been nice to leave out the last sentence in your post... very rude.
    I have expressed my concern, but not in a public post.
    fredg

Oct 2, 2005, 12:16 PM
    Maybe it was rude of me, I won't dispute the point. But I can point to loads of posts where you have added lines that were not only rude but totally false, libelous and more. At least my comment has a lot of factual evidence to back it up. That is a lot more than you can say. This is a clear example of the 'people in glass houses' adage. You have accused me of many things over the years. Almost all of them are things that you have been guilty of instead of (or at least to a much greater degree) than I.

I offer an olive branch, however, left handed, and you throw it back. You really need to learn when to leave well enough alone.

As for expressing your concern privately. I assume that means reporting the post. Be my guest. You have committed much more and greater violations here and other places. I doubt if any action would be taken in this case which is borderline at best.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for bulk lot of Disney DVDs [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know if I'm putting this quesgtion in the right subject but I don't know where else to put it: Do any of you's know where I can get a big bulk lot of Disney DVDs for a good price and the dvds or either region 4 or region free?

Copying my personal DVDS [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a program that will allow you to copy a copywrited DVD?

Can my panasonic cf-47 play dvds? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook, model year about 2000. It has a Pentium II, with a CDROM. My question is: Can this machine play a DVD? Of course it can play CDs, but I was wondering if CDs and DVDs are virtually the same, as far as my CDROM is concerned. Thanks for an answer.

Playing DVDs [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a DVD you can download that actually works?My computer came with PowerDVD,but there was no audio,although I followed all the instructions.So I downloadedthe newest version,and not only was there no audio,there was no video.I tried WinDVD and Zoom Player,and it just said"no media...

Computer won't play dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there When I tried to play a dvd on my PC on powerdvd it says 'The powerdvd Direct show decorder filters have not been installed properly' But I never use this and have never unistalled it or anything like that it came with the PC when I bought it 3 years ago and used to work fine , I also...

View more questions Search