Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 04:48 AM
    Relationship between Mass and Speed.
    What is the formula for how much mass increase there is based on how fast an item is moving?

Example: If an object of "X"lbs mass at rest is moving at "Y"mph, what is it's mass at that speed?

Thanks!

Edit 10/10/05:
    See
    http://www.jackson8.com/science/relativisticmass.html
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 08:30 AM
    The relativistic mass concept
    I'm making a little headway. I've scrounged up a couple of formulas that apply, but I just don't remember how to use them.

And

I know c is the speed of light, v is velocity, and m is mass, but

1. what is M?
    And
    2. what is γ?

How can I use this formula with my example?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 08:33 AM
    ... or is this the more applicable formula?:

... or is this the same as the 2nd one, above?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Sep 29, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    ...or is this the more applicable formula?:

...or is this the same as the 2nd one, above?
    how about looking at a kenetic energy formular
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 03:08 AM
    m - the mass of an ojbect as perceived for a mover by a stationary frame.
    mo - the mass of an object as perceived by a mover for the mover.
    v - the velocity (as a fraction of c) of the mover relative to the stationary observer.
    c - the speed of light in a vacuum which is a constant value of 300,000,000 meters/second or 186,000 miles/second. This value is constant as viewed by all observers.

I understand that "mo" should be shown as a percentage of "c", but how do I show "c"? It's not '1" is it?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 02:34 AM
    See
    http://www.jackson8.com/science/relativisticmass.html
    For a summary of where I'm at with this if you think you might be able to help.
    Thanks!
    makdan Posts: 46, Reputation: 3

Jul 19, 2007, 04:13 PM
    This question is old, but surprisingly, it doesn't appear that anyone ever answered it. Your example problem asked the weight of a 100 pound person traveling at 0.6 times the speed of light.

Answers: The units don't really matter as long as they match, e.g. the speeds must have the same dimensions.

You were correct that two of the equations you furnished (containing M's and m's) were equivalent.

I'm not sure what the equation containing "lambda" is intended to represent, but it appears merely to omit the m's and M's, so it essentially is an inflation factor for calculating increased mass at speed.

For the example above, the ratio of v-squared over c-squared is .36, the difference under the radical is 0.64, the square root of that is 0.8, so the 100-pounder would weigh 125 pounds at 0.6c.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
    firstly, it's gamma not lambda. Yes it's essentially a ratio.

Rick, you're having a problem because you don't quite understand relativity. The man who is moving doesn't see his mass increase because he isn't moving. He sees the rest of the universe increase in mass, this is essential.

so in this question, your m0 is 100, your v is 0.6 and your c is 1. So makdan is correct that you get 100/0.8 = 125 lbs.
    jturner2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
    New example, 47000 pound TRAM moving at 25 mph what is the pounds per square inch force it applies on an armored window? The surface that hits the window is 6" wide by 1/2" thick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

DSS in my life (Mass.) [ 11 Answers ]

My 16 year old adopted daughter, who has been with us 4 1/2 years and who has always been watched carefully by us due to previous issues of sexual abuse, neglect, promiscuity, sneaky behavior. etc. and who is very much functioning at the 12-13 year old level (IQ 86) and who is very literal in her...

Mass [ 1 Answers ]

A thin circular sheet of aluminum has a radius of 20 cm and a thickness of 0.50 mm. Find the mass of the sheet.

Height & mass [ 3 Answers ]

A student is 1.7m tall and has a mass of 60Kg. If the dimension of this student shrank by a factor of three(to1/3 previous values) estimate the mass of the shrunk student. I think the answer is not 20 and I don't think it is that easy. Please help me answer this question. Thank you a lot!!

Mass [ 4 Answers ]

What mass of lead(II) nitrate is present in 20.0mL of a solution? See below. Two different lead(II) nitrate solutions are used, each sample is reacted with an excess quantity of a potassium iodide solution, which produces lead(II) iodide.

View more questions Search