Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RaiderZA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
    AC not working-Thermostat fuse blown?
    I was in my basement tonight where my furnace and blower unit is located. I heard a small click and saw a flash of white light out of the corner of my eye. Not knowing what it was I inspected the furnace, water heater, etc. I then noticed that the air did not kick in. I checked my bnew Carrier thermidistat and noticed that it was flashing the cooling mode because the house temp was higher than the setting, but the AC did not kick in. I switched the blower fan button on the stat, and the fan in the basement unit worked, but no life from the outside unit. Is the non working AC related to that flash I saw? Did a fuse blow somewhere? I notice that the stat wires congregate on a metal box that has a note about a time delaw 15A fuse. Is that blown? The circuit breakers appear OK.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 11:14 PM
    The 15 amp fuse likely is the main one for the furnace. If it blows, nothing should work. Open the box and see if you have 24 volts between the B and Y terminals when calling for A/C. If so, check to see if you do at the coil for the outside unit.
    RaiderZA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2005, 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the insight.
    Do you think the white flash I saw is a result of a fuse blowing in the A/C? Or is that something likely more serious?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 07:08 AM
    I am at a loss to explain the flash. Furnaces often have a fuse on the incoming power. Better ones have a smaller one protecting the control transformer. If either of those blew, the blower wouldn't work. The only A/C fuse would be outside in the disconnect at the compressor. Somehow the yellow wire from the thermostat or one of the pair running from the Y and B terminals to the compressor coil could have burned in 2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

RTH230B Thermostat A/C Relay Not Working [ 3 Answers ]

I have read several postings on here about this subject, but have not really found the answer to my problem. I am having similar trouble with my relatively new RTH230B Thermostat (Mainly the A/C won't work properly). I installed it this past fall and my gas furnace worked like a charm. However,...

RTH230B Thermostat - Air or Fan Not Working [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a RTH230B Thermostat this winter. Heat worked fine all winter. Went to turn on the air this week and it wouldn't come on. I have 5 wires (Red, Blue, White, Yellow, Green). The thermostat has connections for Rh, Rc, W, Y, and G. I had the yellow wire in Rc and the blue wire in Y. I...

Civic Blown Fuse Or Relay Won't shift into Drive! [ 2 Answers ]

97 Civic-Car Starts-Can't put it into drive-Blown Fuse or Relay? My '97 Civic starts right up, however…… Can't put it into Drive! (Yes I know that I need to step on the brake!) Here are the details; 1- When I depress the thumb button on the shifter the relay clicks at the ignition switch, will...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

Blown gasket or blown cilynder [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... lets get down to it... I know nothing about cars... I am 17 and a girl and my dad know about as much about cars as I do. Well here's what's happened with my '97 saturn SL1 in the past few weeks. ~My oil light comes on... I tell my dad and he tells me to check it. My boyfriend and I check...

View more questions Search