Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Picassa Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Toasting at rehearsal dinner
    Here's an unusual situation... Stepson's mother refused money we offered to help with the expenses of the rehearsal dinner (wanted top billing, apparently). Our wedding check to the stepson helped the couple to make a downpayment on a house, so we are pleased, nonetheless. Now comes the rehearsal dinner this weekend. Invitation received, listed as hosts are the mother and her new husband (not the father of the groom). Father of the groom (my husband) is wondering about toasting protocol at the event itself. Obviously since he's not listed on the dinner invitation as a host, he will not offer the first welcoming/bride's toast, nor the second (brides father), so where should he jump in, and is there anyone else other than the marrying couple to whom he should offer a toast? Thanks for your suggestions!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Toasts can be offered by anyone after the dinner before the tables are left. He just stands up and announces he wants to toast, or, he can let the groom or best man know he would like to make a toast at a given time and he will be announced appropriately.

Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Thank you for your suggestions. My husband is not an orator, and is somewhat uncomfortable by the prospect. He doesn't want to step on toes, though wants to be appropriate and not out of turn. I'm sure he'll think of something to say. Thanks!
    momtobe949 Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Sep 25, 2007, 02:32 AM
    I agree 100% the father of the groom should be able to speak since it is his son getting married. I wouldn't even tell the stepmom and just go for it, there is nothing she can do.

Sep 25, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Thanks Momtobe. Actually I am the stepmom. My concern is entirely for my husband, and his neither being intentionally excluded nor embarrassed by his ex in a semi-public venue, as is her custom. We both have a desire to welcome the new daughter in law and her family as well as wish his son well in this new life.
    Whenever there is divorce, it's a little shaky to mention elements of marital bliss, long-lasting happiness, etc, in a toast to the couple without fear of it being seen as a slam to the first spouse (who would certainly take it that way). We are open to generic yet profound examples of what would be good in this situation. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rehearsal dinner [ 4 Answers ]

My son is getting married soon. My daughter in law to be says that no one except the people involved in the rehearsal should come to the rehearsal dinner. All the rehearsal dinners I have ever been to, the spouses are invited to join the dinner. (Such as the minister's wife, etc.) What is...

Dinner Etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner This evening. My question is , should I take something to go along w the dinner ? Thanks Slew

Rehearsal dinner etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Who all should be invited to the rehearsal dinner? The wedding is in the bride's home town. Most everyone attending the wedding will be out-of-towners. Are all those from out of town to be invited?

Floresent dinner [ 2 Answers ]

I have three futures in my kitchen . They have 2, 30 watt bulbs in them my wife says They are to bright, and wants a dimmer on them . Question. Can I but a dimmer switch on them ,and where can I get one? They are fluorescent bulbs

Sunday dinner [ 20 Answers ]

I'm just prerping our Sunday lunch and I started to wonder what everyone else does. Who in your household is in charge of the main Sunday meal and what do you have ? In my house I tend to be in charge of the whole shooting match. Sundays for us normally means some sort of roast, today its...

View more questions Search