Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Varoth Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
    GT problems
    I am a gifted and talented student, and I am constantly pressured to do much much better. However, I don't want to. I procrastinate, I'm lazy, ambition less, the only reason I am GT is because I had a college level vocab in third grade( I read a lot).I just want to be in the middle of the pack. My question is, is it right to always push kids so hard, even if they don't want to.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 02:46 PM
    This is one of the pitfalls that I warn parents about when labeling their children gifted. Many may be gifted only until, say, middle school for example, when they level off, or their peers catch up with them.

I personally don't think it is right to push children and let them learn and do things at their own pace and pretty much in their own time.

Is there a counselor you can talk to at school?
    Varoth Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Well that was my problem, in middle school I started noticing, hey they are a lot of kids who are smarter than me, and when I started getting average grades my parents went nuts, and that was when the s*** hit the fan. My grades started slipping, and I have stayed afloat these past 5 years, I have trouble handing stuff in, and my parents reaction to this was " Your gifted, you should be doing so much better", and they diagnosed me with ADHD (for which I took a bunch of different meds, none of them worked, and I took myself off this year and have been just fine) I have social issues, and I just can't seem to get it to click to start getting things done. And I have just started to go to cyber school (21st century cyber charter school) and I have been told by my father numerous times, that I'm a piece of s***, that I'm going to military school, and that I'm worthless, although that was all in the heat of the moment(my mom is definitely more supportive than that , but she agrees that I'm screwing up bad). I just can't seem to get to work.

And that's my biggest personal issue in my life, in one neat, and compact paragraph.

P.S. J_9, your profile pic kicksa**
    P.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

So many problems! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... My comp. was just attacked by some viruses.. virus is gone:)... bt has left problems behind:(.. Problem # 1 :- 'Run' from start menu is absent. Problem # 2 :- the homepage of internet explorer is set to a "virus site" and the option to change it from internet options is "blocked". I'm...

Problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have a problem with my relationship my wife spend 12 hours a day in our rec room with my best friend and does a lot of drinking. I don't think that they are having a affair but it sure does put stress on the relationship. Some nights they will stay up till 8:00am well after I have went to bed. ...

View more questions Search