Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevelucasi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Landlord Selling Apartment
    My landlord has hired an appraiser to look through the house in which my apartment is one of three units. What happens to my lease if the house is sold?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Nothing. The new buyer has to honor any existing leases. However, they may choose to not renew the lease upon expiration.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
    You can always ask the current owner to extend your lease if you know you want to stay and your rent rate is reasonable, etc. It should make the property more desirable to prospective buyers to have people locked into longer leases (unless the rent is ridiculously low or something), and you'd be locked into living there and paying the same amount of rent.

Karla in TX

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Selling Property [ 2 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in CA. We moved in a few months ago and are on a 1 year lease. Everything has been going great, we pay rent on time, our landlord is very responsive when we have problems that need to be fixed. A few weeks ago he surprised us by saying he is putting the place up for sale and...

Landlord selling home in MA [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord is selling our home, we are on the second floor and landlord has never lived on site. We have been here for 9 years. What if any rights do we have regarding letting real estate agents into our home? How much notice, can we specify certain times. After the home is bought how long do...

Landlord Selling [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently signed a lease for a townhome. Last week I was called by my landlord and told that he is going to sell the home. In our rental agreement (which is for 18 months) he added that rent can be raised with proper notice. My question is, since the new owner will inherit the rental...

Landlord is selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to how long I have before I have to move after my landlord sells the house I am living in?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search