Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Sep 20, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Weird internet behavior
    What I mean by weird internet behavior is that I can access some web pages but not all.

Examples:

Can visit
    Askmehelpdesk.com (This site)
    Microsoft.com
    And some of the web comics I read

Can't visit
    Comcast.net (which is my ISP)
    Aol.com
    Some other web comics
    And I can't play WoW
    And neither AIM nor MSN work

My firewall shows that I am connected to the net, as do my router and cable modem. I have tried to reset my cable modem, reset my router and well as diable my firewall, and none of this seems to improve my connection.

Also of note I have 2 PCs and they both have the same problem.

I think this is a problem with my service from my ISP. Anyone have any advice or ideas?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 20, 2007, 04:20 AM
    Have you completely cleared you internet cache ?
    If so could well be a routing issue with your ISP.

Sep 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
    I tried clearing it out and I still have that problem.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 20, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Have you tried clearing the DNS cache?

From command line, type ipconfig /flushdns
    Then try looking up some of the sites you can't go to and see if DNS works on them, also from command line:
    Nslookup comcast.net
    Nslookup aol.com
    etc...

That will at least show if the DNS server is the problem.

What does it say when you try to go to those pages?

Sep 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Yesterday after my last post I just logged off and I ended going out for the day. I had gotten back around 5 and checked my internet and found out it was working OK again.

Then this morning something else happened. My network started showing up as "Limited or no connection" This time I could not access anything at all for several minutes. I noticed it was some what laggy only a few hours prior when I was playing World of warcraft, but it picked back up and was fine after that, until it just went down. I tried to use the repair option in the Local connection settings status and it said that it could not be repaired because the network did not assign my computer an IP address. (Im pretty sure I remember that right)

It did that on BOTH of my computers.

Eventually I reset my router and my modem and the connection seems to be running OK for now, but this really seems to be a problem with my ISP.

I have had Comcast as my ISP for about 5 years now with very little problems but if something else happens I may just have to call them up
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 21, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Both the computers said they couldn't obtain an IP address?
    If they're both hooked to the router, then it's probably the routing going bad. If it starts doing it again after you reset the router, I'd think about trying a new one.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2007, 08:18 PM
    You may also try and open command prompt and type in ping (website that is blocked occasionaly without parenthesis E.g. Google.com). If it works correctly and you cannot access the internet page still, then it may be your internet browser or your modem. By this time I would likely get a new modem.

Sep 24, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Since my last posting I haven't had any trouble with my net connection. As I said in my last post, I have had Comcast as my ISP for about 5 years, and I wisely bought my own modem instead of renting one from the company. I expected at least 5 years out of my modem.. Maybe it is time I should prepare to buy a new one, just in case? I don't know. Does anyone know the avg life span of a cable modem?

The router should be OK though, since its about 8 months old, plus it has a 2 year warranty on it. I chose to go with Linksys cause I know they make good, dependable routers.

Also I may have forgotten to mention that when I was having the problems both times I even tried to have my computer directly connected to the modem, with the same results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Weird behavior in reopened home [ 1 Answers ]

Just purchased 3 yr old house. Septic system w/ 2 holding tanks. Tanks were pumped when purchased. House was vacant over 1 year. First floor toilet flushes only with plunger. 2nd floor toilet causes all other drains to gurgle when flushed. 2 roof vents appear to be clear.

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

Weird printing program behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but any help would be appreciated! This isn't a problem, so to speak, just very annoying! Every time I print something, the next time the computers turned on (whether it's shut-down and started or just restarted) the printer icon appears in the...

View more questions Search