Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PhilaVa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Microsoft Office Problem?
    Hey everyone. I have Windows XP. I do a system restore every couple of months on my Sony Vaio to speed the computer up. I have two drives (C) and (D). The system restore deletes everything on my C drive but D is uneffected. So I decided to install Microsoft office on D so that I wouldn't have to keep installing it each time I did a restore.

But, I get this message when I try to access the office programs.

"The operating system is not presently configured to run this application"

Does anyone know how I can fix this or do I have to uninstall office and install it again?

Thanks.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2005, 04:17 AM
    Best I found on the internet was this: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1075148814 . There were also a few other sites mentioning the event log. So I suggest doing what the person suggested - run a checkdisk, then repair windows.

To run a check/scan disk:
    1. Click on Start >> My Computer
    2. Right click on your C drive and choose Properties
    3. Switch to the Tools tab.
    4. You should see an "Error Checking" section with a button saying check now. Click this button.
    5. Check the "Automatically fix..." box and start the scan.
    6. Once it's finished, follow the same steps (2-5) for your D drive too.

Now we can repair Windows. Easiest way to do this is to reinsert your Office CD. Proceed through the setup until you get to screen asking you what type of install you would like. There should be an option for repair. Select this then follow the instructions on the screen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2005, 05:11 AM
    The question here is how you do a System Restore. If you are using a Recovery CD provided by Sony, then you will lose any software not included in the original package. This is because, even though you install office on the D drive, it still makes changes to the Windows folders on the C drive.

If you want to do this (and its not a bad idea), I would suggests getting Acronis TruImage or Norton Ghost. Once you have the C drive clean with all software installed, then create an image of the drive. If you restore that image you will have a clean C drive that will work with all installed software.

Sep 28, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The question here is how you do a System Restore. if you are using a Recovery CD provided by Sony, then you will lose any software not included in the original package. This is because, even though you install office on the D drive, it still makes changes to the Windows folders on the C drive.

If you want to do this (and its not a bad idea), I would suggests getting Acronis TruImage or Norton Ghost. Once you have the C drive clean with all software installed, then create an image of the drive. If you restore that image you will have a clean C drive that will work with all installed software.
    Ah, that makes sense. I have another problem now... I did the disk clean and now all my other computer does is restart to a disk clean, finish the disk clean and restart over and over. How do I get past that to my desktop again?

As far as my first issue, the only thing I can do is delete office and install it again at this point?

Sep 28, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilaVa
    Ah, that makes sense. I have another problem now...I did the disk clean and now all my other computer does is restart to a disk clean, finish the disk clean and restart over and over. How do I get past that to my desktop again?

As far as my first issue, the only thing I can do is delete office and install it again at this point?
    Never mind, I got past the disk clean and have my computer back up. Just back to the first issue, the only thing I can do is delete office and install it again at this point?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 28, 2005, 08:57 AM
    Yep - reinstall is necessary as all the Ms office details are missing from the registry, like Scott Says if you can then take an image of the c drive you will be able to speed up future recoveries.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2005, 05:04 AM
    You don't need to delete or uninstall Office, just reinstall to the same folder where it currently exists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft Office 2003 Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a new master hard drive in my computer, and am attempting to install my copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. Unfortunately, I've lost the serial number - no, really. I still have Office installed on the slave (used to be master) drive, and I'm wondering if there's...

Saving Microsoft office standard edition [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering how I can save my Microsoft office programs such as word, powerpoint, access and excel.. on to a cd. I bought this computer and it already came with office so I don't have the original cd for it and now I am wondering how can I back up these PROGRAMS on to a cd so I can transfer...

Microsoft Office XP installation [ 11 Answers ]

?? I have MS Office 2000 Premium installed. I want to install MS Office XP. Do I install over 2000 or what? Will I lose all mt my Outlook e-mail?

Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to purchase a new PC and I am wondering if Office 97 is compatible with Windows XP. Thank you. :)

View more questions Search