Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
    How to do State return?
    I filed form 1040NR and itemized deductions only for State and local taxes on Schedule A.

How to file my State return?
    Can I use standart deduction there or I must itemize also?
    If I have to itemized,what actually to itemized as a deduction?
    Because I need to exclude state and local taxes on my STATE RETURN which itemized on 1040NR... :(
    Is this mean that I have only 1 personal exemption on MY STATE RETURN?
    I thing that if my itemized deductions are smaller that Standart then I can take Standart deduction? Am I right?
    Can someone explain me what to do?
    As a non-resident can I still use POVERTY LEVEL CREDIT?
    This is very confusing issue.. :eek:

Thanks to all of you...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 28, 2005, 10:18 AM
    Troj:

The first thing you need to do is identify which state you are filing for.

In virtually all cases, non-resident aliens file state income tax returns exactly like normal state residents.

If your state standard deduction is greater than your itemized deduction, then, in most states, you can claim the standard deduction. Some states, however, require you itemize on the state return if you itemize on your federal return.

Again, I cannot answer definitively until you identify which state is involved.

Sep 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
    VA and MD
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

The first thing you need to do is identify which state you are filing for.

In virtually all cases, non-resident aliens file state income tax returns exactly like normal state residents.

If your state standard deduction is greater than your itemized deduction, then, in most states, you can claim the standard deduction. Some states, however, require you itemize on the state return if you itemize on your federal return.

Again, I cannot answer definitively until you identify which state is involved.
    \

Virginia and Maryland
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Troj:

For Virginia, if you itemize on your federal return, you must itemize on your state return, even if the even if using the standard deduction would result in a greater tax benefit on your Virginia return. All federal itemized deductions apply except for state and local income taxes. Further, since you are a part-year resident, you can only claim those deductions you incurred while a resident of Virginia.

For Maryland, you can itemize on your Maryland tax return if you itemize on your federal return, but you do NOT have to itemize if the standard deduction gives you a greater tax benefit.

BTW, since you are filing two state returns, credits for taxes paid in the other state will probably apply. For this reason, it would probably be better if you have a tax professional prepare these returns to make sure that you do not pay taxes to both states on the same salary.

Sep 30, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

For Virginia, if you itemize on your federal return, you must itemize on your state return, even if the even if using the standard deduction would result in a greater tax benefit on your Virginia return. All federal itemized deductions apply except for state and local income taxes. Further, since you are a part-year resident, you can only claim those deductions you incurred while a resident of Virginia.

For Maryland, you can itemize on your Maryland tax return if you itemize on your federal return, but you do NOT have to itemize if the standard deduction gives you a greater tax benefit.

BTW, since you are filing two state returns, credits for taxes paid in the other state will probably apply. For this reason, it would probably be better if you have a tax professional prepare these returns to make sure that you do not pay taxes to both states on the same salary.
    Thanks.
    But on VA return (Form 763) there is nothing to itemized because I have to exclude State and Local taxes.I only itemized state and local taxes.
    Is this mean that I have to put 0 across the line of itemized deductions on my State return.(line 42 , Part 4)
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Troj:

Unfortunately, yes, you must claim zero if taxes is all you claimed on your federal itemized Schedule A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

State Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a F1 student in the state of California. I worked for 10 weeks in New york. Do I have to file a state tax return both for New York and California?

New York State Return [ 1 Answers ]

I have already filed my New York Tax Return about 3 weeks back. (nothing shows up on the status as yet). Filed IT-203 but I sent my W2 and did not send IT-2 What should I do?? Any suggestions??

Va state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering why on my W-2 form the VA I.D. tax number of my company have more digits than my other W-2 form? Do I have to skip the letter in the I.d tax number and put in the software only the digits? I want to e-file but I can not do than because I have to skip the LETTER in the id.tax number...

View more questions Search