Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Sep 19, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Needlonose fish
    I have a needlenose fish and he stays pretty calm and at the top of the tank but I noticed when I wipe the outside of the tank down he goes CRAZY he starts trying to jump and swimming fast and looks like he's trying to run into my hand, I'm not sure if it amuses him or scares him and was wondering if anyone knew.
    After I stop with then wiping he calms back down and goes back to normal.
    What could this mean?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Probably just scared.
    They like to chill out at the top of tanks.
    He probably thinks your hand is a big monster diving in trying to eat him:D
    Does he have any signs of disease?
    If not, then this would be typical behavior...
    They are known for darting and even jumping out of their tanks.

Sep 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
    He doesn't have any sign of disease and after I stop he stops, I have been searching everywhere to find some information and what little I have found states that they can be very nervous fish, so I'm going to lay low on cleaning the glass or at least till its dark and he can't see.
    Thanks for your input...
    Also do you mind if I ask you another question I have a black/silver catfish about 2 inches and noticed the other day that she was very swollen like she was pregnant, the other one was a lot smaller on the stomach well last night it was acting very weird it stayed in one spot for hours as if it were checking the area, this morning she has gotten a lot smaller but I can't see any eggs, the only thing I noticed is that around the same spot she was swimming the live plant has bubbles on the bottom of the leaves, they look like little clear see through glob bubbles and the other plant (same kind) on the other side of the tank has none, could this be her eggs?
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalbivens
    he dosent have any sign of disease and after i stop he stops, i have been searching everywhere to find some information and what little i have found states that they can be very nervous fish, so i'm gonna lay low on cleaning the glass or at least till its dark and he can't see.
    Thanks for your input...............
    Also do you mind if i ask you another question i have a black/silver catfish about 2 inches and noticed the other day that she was very swollen like she was pregnant, the other one was alot smaller on the stomach well last night it was acting very weird it stayed in one spot for hours as if it were checking the area, this morning she has gotten alot smaller but i can't see any eggs, the only thing i noticed is that around the same spot she was swimming the live plant has bubbles on the bottom of the leaves, they look like little clear see through glob bubbles and the other plant (same kind) on the other side of the tank has none, could this be her eggs?
    Yes, the glob bubbles you are describing are definitely eggs.
    If you have a male and female catfish, it's likely the eggs are fertile.
    The unfertile eggs will turn white. The fertile ones have a gestation period of about 5 days, then 2 days for the fry (baby fish) to absorb their yolk sack.

Don't be disappointed if they don't survive. A lot of times when eggs are not removed and put into an incubation tank, they get eaten or the babies don't survive the elements in a community tank.
    Sometimes you will have a few lucky ones though which is a lot of fun.
    Good luck...

Sep 20, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I'm not really sure if there is a male and a female we just got this one a few weeks ago and noticed its belly was very swollen, then last night it was not as active as usual and then saw the globs this morning, so does this mean that they probely won't produce fry?
    I'm thinking they will probely be eaten if found, the eel which never comes out of the sand was staying close to the area and still is.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    If you have a male and female, they will reproduce inside the tank.
    Whether the eggs/fry survive is purely by luck in a community tank because they are easy snacks for other fish and they get sucked up by filters often.

As far as knowing if you have a male and female, you can tell by whether the eggs turn white or not.
    If all the eggs turn white (unfertilized) then it's likely that they are both female.

If the eggs have been fertilized they will not turn white (with an exception of a few unfertile ones within the bunch) then you have a male and female.

Sep 20, 2007, 12:29 PM
    How long does it take to see if they turn white?
    This happened last night and they are still clear
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 12:46 PM
    I would expect for any unfertilized ones to be completely white by the third or fourth day.

Do you happen to know what the common name for your catfish is?

Sep 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Yes it's a silver tip shark catfish
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Could it possibly be something else or possibly a different fish depositing the eggs?
    Sliver tips do not deposit eggs, they are mouth-brooders with the male brooding the eggs.
    What you are describing on the plants really sounds like eggs though.

Sep 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
    That's what I thought but I am confused,
    I have other fish as well
    2 loaches that have stayed the same size with nothing seeming out of the ordinary
    2 Bala sharks but they haven't been acting weird or getting bigger
    A needlenose, an eel, 2 smaller fish (not sure what kind) but they like to aggervate the eels,
    An orange looking eel
    And the 2 catfish
    It's makes me think of the catfish because one looked very very bloated and last night it's stomach looked like it was going to pop, also it was acting very strange they are always very active and swim from top to bottom but this one stayed at the bottom in the same area for hours, then this morning its belly was the same size as the other one and the eggs were on the plants,
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
    It may be a different species of silver tip.
    These days so many fish are given the same common name, it's not even funny.
    Those things you are describing sound like eggs and a lot of species of fish deposit their eggs on plants.

Do you have any snails? Big ones little ones? Some that may have accidentally been introduced to the tank when buying plants, anything?

Sep 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
    No I haven't seen any I didn't put any in cause I made that mitake once, I even called petsmart to make sure that's what kind of fish they were and it is.
    Also the silver tip are swimming near the plant a lot.
    I'm almost positive that their eggs, and I was so sure that the catfish laid them.
    When they are pregnant can you tell by their bellys?
    Because this one either had a ton of eggs in it or a huge tumor that's now gone, even my husband who doesn't pay them much attention told me that it looked pregnant.

Sep 20, 2007, 02:00 PM
    This site shows what he is does he look like a catfish?

Colombian Shark (Catfish) - Hexanematichthys seemanni (Arius jordani)
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
    That's the fish I was thinking of after I asked...
    I'm really stumped:confused:

Everything you're describing sounds like the big belly was full of eggs and now has deposited on the plants...

Only thing is, these fish are not known to do that.

Another possibility could be that the 2 unknown fish spawned on the plants and then the catfish ate the majority of the eggs, giving it a full belly?? :confused:

Keep a watch on the eggs to see if they develop.
    I'm so curious as to what's going on...

I read an article once about how some fish that are not known to breed in captivity have been discovering new ways to breed.
    I have no idea if this is the case because it's never been documented as happening with these fish, but it's a real interesting topic.

Sep 20, 2007, 03:58 PM
    I'll Keep An Eye On Them And Let You Know What Happens, But Its Had The Full Belly Since We Got Her And Now Its Gone If It Ate It Would It Cause The Belly To Be Swollen For A Few Weeks, Never Know Mabey I Have A Million DollAr Fish Hehe.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
    If she would have eaten some other fishys eggs, then her belly would have been big and swollen looking... but not for a whole week.

Sounds like they are her eggs...
    This is so bizarre and I'm very interested in what happens so keep me posted about your million dollar fish... hehe:D

Sep 20, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Yeah Its Been Swollen For Almost 2 Weeks, Oh And The Unknown Fish Are Barbs But I Know It Wasent Them Because They Haven't Put On Any Weight.
    I'll Deffently Let You Know What Happens.
    Thanks For All Your Help

Sep 20, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Can Fish Produce More Eggs Right After They Have Laid Some?

The Same Fish's Belly Is Starting To Swell Like It Did When I Thought It Was Pregnant.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Hmm.
    I'm not a breeder, but I have lots of fish that breed.
    My experiences with fish breeding inside my tanks would be that they do not develop more eggs this quickly.

Either they take a few days to deposit their eggs and their bellies gradually go down Or they lay them all at once and depending on the fish species, it could be 3 months to a year before they develop more eggs.

This is unique indeed because these fish are not known to breed in captivity as it is.

Even the barbs breed differently than the way you've described the eggs being attached to the plants.
    Barbs scatter their eggs... not attach them, so I'm just baffled.

Did you notice if the catfish was a glutton today when it ate?

Make a mental note about how many and where the eggs are in the tank and see if any new ones suddenly appear. This could get interesting:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Floating fish [ 16 Answers ]

I have 6 goldfish in a 30gallon aquarium for 3yrs now. They eat floating pellets. I noticed over the couple days that one fish is swimming with its tail towards the top (almost fighting to stay down). Yesterday morning I thought it wa sdead as it was at the top of the water belly up. I went to...

Finding Fish [ 2 Answers ]

I just began reading it. I think this book starts very slow but it is sick! How can that women molest Antwone! That's reallly sick. I think his mother isn't ready to have him yet because she acts like a child her self. What are your thoughts on this book?

Fish without tails [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Zach and my teacher and I have a big problem. Our fish keep dying, but not just of any death they have been dying without tails. My teacher has never heard of this before so we we wondering if anyone could tell us what is going on.

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

View more questions Search