Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paper_rozes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Dying my dark brown hair light brown.
    I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown. Is there any way I can dye my dark hair light brown without turning red without going to the hair stylist?
    LEILA007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Sep 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paper_rozes
    I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown. Is there any way I can dye my dark hair light brown without turning red without going to the hair stylist?
    First no ash tints those tend to make ur hair green try using herbal essence or fiera. Remember dark brown hair does turn red . Find something of lighest brown.
    paper_rozes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
    I was thinking about trying dark or med blonde? Are you saying no matter what I use my hair will turn red? :confused:
    fugly23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2009, 02:54 AM

It is possible. And yes you can do this at home.

I have naturally redish hair which for 10 years I coloured iced brown. 2 weeks ago I decided I wanted to go a light ash brown and achieved this myself at home.

Step 1- Don't wash your hair for 2 days to let natural oils build up, this help limit damage from bleaches.

Use a colour remover such as L'oreal perfect blonde (use maximum for stripping all colour out)

Next I rinsed it with warm water until it ran clear and let it air dry.

I purchased Garnier belle colour 7.1 (lightest ash brown) and waited 40 minutes for coverage to be done. When I rinsed it it had a slight green tinge, However I diluted 6 asprin in a glass of warm water and massaged into my hair, waited 10 minutes and rinsed and all the green had gone. The water comes out a slight greenish colour (The asprin removes copper from the hair that gives it the green effect)

Deep condition and wait for about 48 hours, then get a highlight kit and place highlights wherever you want them, this gives it a really natural and summery look. The reason for the highlights is that by stripping the hair in the first place you remove the natural multi tones in the hair, so replace them with a light bleach highlight.

I done all of this myself and it looks gorgeous, and it cost me less than $25.00 to do. It is a little time consuming, though after the 1st time its just a matter of root touch up and that takes no more than 20 minutes a month.

So yes, you can achieve it, it may make your hair a little dry, but some olive oil through it twice a week for a month, leave for 15 minutes and rinse will sort it out 100%

Hope this helps =D
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fugly23 View Post
    It is possible. And yes you can do this at home.

I have naturally redish hair which for 10 years I coloured iced brown. 2 weeks ago I decided I wanted to go a light ash brown and achieved this myself at home.

Step 1- Don't wash your hair for 2 days to let natural oils build up, this help limit damage from bleaches.

Use a colour remover such as L'oreal perfect blonde (use maximum for stripping all colour out)

Does this just take you back to your natural color, or is that color stripped out too?

Next I rinsed it with warm water until it ran clear and let it air dry.

I purchased Garnier belle colour 7.1 (lightest ash brown) and waited 40 minutes for coverage to be done. When I rinsed it it had a slight green tinge, However I diluted 6 asprin in a glass of warm water and massaged into my hair, waited 10 minutes and rinsed and all the green had gone. The water comes out a slight greenish colour (The asprin removes copper from the hair that gives it the green effect)
    Thanks for the aspirin advice. That may come in handy someday. I had green hair in high school once.

Deep condition and wait for about 48 hours, then get a highlight kit and place highlights wherever you want them, this gives it a really natural and summery look. The reason for the highlights is that by stripping the hair in the first place you remove the natural multi tones in the hair, so replace them with a light bleach highlight.

I done all of this myself and it looks gorgeous, and it cost me less than $25.00 to do. It is a little time consuming, though after the 1st time its just a matter of root touch up and that takes no more than 20 minutes a month.

So yes, you can achieve it, it may make your hair a little dry, but some olive oil through it twice a week for a month, leave for 15 minutes and rinse will sort it out 100%

Hope this helps =D
    Good advice. I have very dry curly frizzy dark brown hair. I color it to be a dark blond/warm brown. I've experienced it all through the years getting it like I want it. Always good to hear more solutions. Thank you.:)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 07:28 PM

I'd suggest that you have a professional do it the first time and ask a lot of questions. It can be hard to get it right if you have red undertones and don't want red hair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

From Dark Blonde to Dark Brown back to Light Brown [ 1 Answers ]

I recently lightened my already color-treated brown hair to a dark blonde color. I decided it looked unnatural and decided to dye it back brown. I picked up a light brown dye from the local beauty supply store and it came out way darker than I wanted or expected with a hint of green, and now I...

Dying my Dark Brown Hair Lighter: Just Need a Little Guidance! [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about coloring my hair lighter. Not only do I want a bit of a change but I'd also like to bring my hair color close to my natural one. I haven't dyed my hair in over six months but the last time I had it was a permanent dye. It was L'Oreal Natural Match to be even more specific and I...

Dying dark brown/black hair lighter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been wanting to dye my hair a shade lighter or just lighter in general, but I'm not sure that it will work, seeing as I have dark brwon hair. Are there any natural lightening products for dark/brown hair I can use? Or What coulour highlights should I add to my hair?

Dying dark brown to lighter brown [ 3 Answers ]

My granddaughter wants to dye her hair(previously colored about a month and1/2 ago)from dark brown to a light brown/blond. We cannot afford to do it in salon. What can I do to help her myself.

Dying black hair back to light brown [ 1 Answers ]

Please can you help me, I have dyed my hair black and would very much like to go back to a light brown I have been to a hairdresser who says I have to have it stripped then re coloured but I would need at least an incj of roots which I would rather not do as I would look stupid. Is there any...

View more questions Search