Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hockeypuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Washer backing up into kitchen sink
    A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root killer in the crock, but that didn't help and we just used an electric auger to try to clean out the pipes. Nothing has worked and we are very frustrated that it might be a larger tank issue. Any suggestions would be great.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2005, 10:18 AM
    There are several ways to check your septic tank. The obvious would be to open a inspection cover on the tank and the other would be to to open up the house clean out and cycle a few loads of laundry. If the cleanout backs up you need tom have the tank ckecked to see if it needs pumping.
    If not then the blockage is downstream from the kitchen sink and Iwould go on the roof and snake from the kitchen vent pipe. Put out enough cable to reach the base of the stack and about 25' more. Good luck, Tom
    hockeypuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Unfortunately we've already done everything you've suggested. Last year we had the septic tank pumped. We did notice that the kitchen sink did not drain into that tank. So we assume that we have a second tank, or something, under the ground that the kitchen and laundry is draining into. Looks like we'll have to dig up the back yard to try to find out where, and what is going on anyway. Thx for your reply!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2005, 11:01 AM
    It sounds like you have the same set up that I have. The washer and kitchen sink discharge into a grease trap and the liquid goes from there into the septic tank or direct to the drain field. This is the best arrangement for a septic tank that there is, especially if you have a garbage disposal. The grease trap,( interceptor) traps the fiber from the washer and the grease and crud from the sink and prevents it from passing through the septic tank and clogging up the drain field. The grease trap is located near the sink so if you can find the drain pipe track it back and clean the grease trap. You may have to snake the kitchen vent out also, but I'm betting that when you clean out the grease trap your problem will be solved. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New roof & washer/sink backing up? [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago my husband tied into the pluming for our bathroom sink to add laundry hookups. It's been working well, although occasionally some of the washing machine water will back up in the sink for a bit, but it hasn't ever overflowed the sink and the water was always clear. Last week we...

Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher and Washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my son was cleaning a fish tank and spilled gravel evidently down the bathtub drain, ever since on occasion the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washer back up into that tub, this will last sometimes for days then stop... then suddenly begin to occur again. Best ways to clear whatevers causing...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

Unclear on swap of washer and kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I was not very clear. I would like to transform my garage into a kitchen. My current kitchen sink is on an exterior wall. I would like to make my current kitchen a laundry room. The washer, in the garage is on an interior wall which is directly...

Swap kitchen sink and washer [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story home on a concrete slab. My washer connections are in my garage. We are considering a remodel and want to swap the kitchen and garage. The current kitchen sink is on an exterior wall and the washer is in the garage on an interior wall that is behind a bathroom. The kitchen and...

View more questions Search