Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    velvetedge22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Salary v.s. hours worked
    If you work for a company making 35K salary, are there any limits to the amount of hours that you can be demanded to work? In specific, this company is requiring me to work 11-16 hours a day and possibly working weekends as well. There is no compensation for over-time as the pay is set at a standard (averaging at about $673 a week). The company is saying that they will at times require their employees to work up to 100 hours a week. At this point the hourly rate goes below minimum wage. Before hire, this company gave the impression of 40-50 hour work weeks, but upon hire has upped the daily hours I work to 14 hours a day. The hours keep increasing because they don't expect to pay more for the extra hours. Is this legal?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 19, 2007, 06:33 AM
    If the original employment contract that you signed says it's on average, a 40-50 hour workweek, then you could ask them to renegotiate the contract. You could probably take them to court on that, too. If it doesn't say anything about the amount of hours, then I'm not sure there's much you can do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
    If you are considered an exempt employee (i.e. paid on a weekly salary), then this is legal. Its not ethical, but its legal. Unless you have something in writing that you would be working a 40-45 hr week, your only recourse is finding another job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Hours [ 1 Answers ]

How many days a week do you work and how many hours are you typically working :eek:

Pto hours and salary [ 3 Answers ]

I was told if you are on salary and you work mor than four hours a day, that if you leave early that day that they should not deduct it from your pto hours or your check. Is that true?

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

Hours of Sleep [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard from a lot of people that seven to eight hours of sleep is best for a full nights sleep. My question is this though, for a person with a disease or some sort of illness that affects their body in some way, what would be their normal sleeping habits? Would seven to eight hours still be...

View more questions Search