Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigHerb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
    "reading" JPG files
    My son has an APPLE and sends me (supposedly) picture files shown as JPG but I cannot open them.
    I am running Windows 98 on a PC and open normal pictures with MGI PhotoSuite. If I try to open one of his photos it shows, "The selected file is not a valid photo file. Photo could not be read."
    PLEASE, could you tell me why I can't read his pictures on my PC?
    Herb Akers, Rockville, MD
    mahi_val Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2003, 01:55 AM
    "reading" JPG files
    Try this:

Open file explorer, go to view/options, if there is a tick in "hide file extensions of known file types" then remove the tick. After doing this, you will see that all the filenames in your file explorer (Windows Explorer) will be shown along with its extension (for example, mahi.txt or command.exe etc.).

Now see if the file sent by your son is having an extension jpg or jpeg? If there is no extension shown, then manually add an extension (right click, select rename and add extension that is if it is shown as "son" then rename as "son.jpg or son.jpeg". Now see if the file type symbol changes and appears similar to other jpg files. If yes, your problem is solved. If no, then I think your son is sending the file in other format or jpg format is not defined on your machine.

Just do this much and reply. I can tell you how to define file type, if required.

Cheers :)
    BigHerb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2003, 07:27 AM
    "reading" JPG files
    I do not have a "tick" in the box for "hide file extensions of known file types".
    I can "read"/display all kinds of JPG files from all other sources and other e-mails.
    The files sent by my son all have an extension of "JPG".
    But my sofeware, MGI PhotoSuite says, "The selected file is not a valid photo file...."
    Any other ideas?
    Herb Akers
    sunrat Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2003, 12:06 AM
    "reading" JPG files
    Try opening with a different program.Internet Explorer displays jpg files. Or try Irfan View, which supports dozens of formats
    Standard jpegs should display in Windows or Mac, Maybe he's not saving standard format files.
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 30, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Same problem solved
    Thanks Mahi-Val. I should have known to try changing the extension but like a lot a times I didn't think of it until Mahi mentioned it. While receiving faxes for the first time my MGI suite also tried to intercept the file and failed. Because the fax program does not lend itself to being found in the directory (easily) nor are the files dragable from the program, changing the file name to include the .jpg extension was the only answer. Cool!!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Win98
    Hi, BigHerb,
    If you would like an extensive step by step Maintenance Steps for Win98/98SE; please send me a private message. I will gladly share these steps with you, with other suggestions for keeping 98/98SE running smoothly.
    I also use 98SE and love it.
    Click on the My Profile tab at the top of the pay when you sign in.
    Then, on the left, click on New Message.
    Then, type in fredg.
    Have a great day,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Fred,
    May I ask why you replied to someone who hasn't posted in this thread since 5/23/2003? This thread was dormant until Darrel revived it yesterday.

As for your maintenance tips, why don't you get yourself a WEB site and post your tips there. Then you can link to the site in your signature so anyone interested can go look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

View more questions Search