Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfsunoles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 05:07 PM
    Fridge water smells bad
    Hi I have a new GE fridge and had a problem with the water smelling like rotten eggs (literally) when dispensed out of the fridge. That filter lasted about 6 months and was the original one. I changed the filter and when I did the filter smelled terrible. I put in the new one and it worked great, no smells or anything. Well it has been just about a month and it is coming back again. I do not have a problem with the water that comes out of my sink. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2005, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cfsunoles
    Hi I have a new GE fridge and had a problem with the water smelling like rotten eggs (literally) when dispensed out of the fridge. That filter lasted about 6 months and was the original one. I changed the filter and when I did the filter smelled terrible. I put in the new one and it worked great, no smells or anything. Well it has been just about a month and it is coming back again. I do not have a problem with the water that comes out of my sink. Any thoughts?
    thanks
    Sounds like the source may be nearer the water supply connection and can be located by sniffing around the fittings. Might even be the line itself. Clean (with bleach) or replace the fittings and supply line, making sure to run the water a good long time before reconnecting. Once located a similar foul odor in a shower. Cleaning with Comet cleanser did the trick. I'll guess it's some type of fungus.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 04:19 AM
    To add: Typically replacing the 3/8" line that goes from your water line to the fridge is easy and cheap. If you replace the line and still have the problem, then you know for sure that the problem is narrowed down to something within the refrigerator itself.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Just in case you may still be wondering...

This is something I have fought several times, in many different brands of refrigerators. It usually has to do with how the factory plumbed the unit. Usually there is a water storage unit in the fresh food section. This is where the water through the door comes from. The problem begins when the filter removes additives like chlorine before the water gets into the storage tank. If the water in the tank stays there for a while, you can get some microbiological growth, leading to the smell. When you changed the filter, you probably flushed the system out trying to remove all the air. The only things you could try are: a... remove the filter and don't replace it (usually requires a bypass plug or insert, check owners manual) or b... replumb the unit so the filter is after the storage tank (probably not going to be easy). If you can't tell the difference between the tap water and the refrig water, why pay for the filters?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water is pooling in the bottom of my fridge [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I think the tube to the drain pan must be clogged because in at back of the fridge at the top I can see where the water drips from the freezer into the tube and the little collector or basin for the water to run into the tube is completely full of water at times. Most of the time the...

Kitchen water smells really bad [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have been having a problem with the water from our kitchen faucet, and only our kitchen faucet, no where else in the house has the smelly water. My husband thinks it smells like rotten egg, I think it smells like sewer! It is very bad in the morning and smells occasionly throughout the...

Water smells in new shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have installed a new shower, replacing an existing one. There was some new supply pipe installed to the shower head. When we turn on the water, hot or cold, we get a smell of petroleum, like oil or grease. The water has a slight film and a few small drops of what appears to be grease. Those...

Water puddle on top shelf of Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore fridge that recently started gathering water on the top shelf of the refrigerator section (top is freezer with an ice maker/bottom is fridge). I'm not sure if it's the ice maker leeking or if it's the seal on the door is needing to be replaced. Thank you for your assistance

Ridiculously slow water from new fridge [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, here's an idiotic question... and I probably know what the answer is going to be... I just bought a new refrigerator on Saturday (our old one was from the 50's) from Sears Scratch and Dent... it's got the water dispenser and ice maker and everything. So, anyhow, I bought the ice maker...

View more questions Search