Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daziak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
    e-mail; access
    I have access to an ex employees private e-mail and password and on occasion I have acessed their e-mail account to " view " e-mail only. Ihave not used this for any other reason but to make sure confidential info from the business was not violated. Is this legal and can it be traced to me ?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
    If they gave you the password,then yes, it's legal. Whether or not it is allowed by your company would be defined by their policies.

Yes, it can most likely be traced to you. Pretty much everything can be traced when working with computers. If you accessed it over the internet, and it's an Exchange server (Microsoft), then there is a log of the emails you read, what time and day, and even where you connected from (the IP address).

If it's against tcompany policy, I'd suggest not doing it anymore.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 12:08 AM
    I don't think it's right to access another person's mail either personal or business but if you are doing it for work purpose then it's OK.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 19, 2007, 04:20 AM
    So you're spying on this person to make sure they're not spying on you? Have some respect for this persons privacy and get rid of that access.

Would you like it if it were done to you?

If your current employees find out this is what you are doing do you think they'll

A: like you more and work harder.
    B: get the hell out of your company as soon as possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2007, 05:40 AM
    If this is a corporate e-mail account then the company has the right to monitor mail.

But if this is a personal account of someone no longer employed and you do not have permission to access this account then you are breaking the law. And yes it could be traced to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Web Access: Mail just sends while typing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'll be in the middle of typing an important business letter via Outlook Web Access when the e-mail just sends itself. I thought it was a hotkey combination that sends your e-mail, but I can't seem to verify that. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help in advance.

Great Auto Response mail for Employee Suggestion mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As part of HR, I take care of the Suggestion Committee which encourages employees to post their suggestions through mail. The ideas are chosen after a period of 1 month by a pre-designated Committee. For every suggestion, we have to give a positive, motivating response in our...

No access to Yahoo mail today, March 10 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

I am unable to access my Yahoo e-mail account. WHY?

Yahoo E-Mail Access [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, I can`t access my Yahoo E-Mail from my desktop, I get a poppup telling me Yahoo Mail Beta experienced a Login error, then it said object expected Confused Alan:

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

View more questions Search