Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost as a goose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Basement washing machine drain
    I have a basement washing machine and when it discharges the water it flows back out of the drain which is the same height as the washing machine. All the other drains in the house seem to be fine except for this one
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Sep 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Likely, the drain line or the trap for the washer is clogged with lint, detergent, and fabric softener.

You'll need to clean out the drain line. If it is just draining slowly, you might try pouring some VERY VERY hot water down - be careful, this can be tricky to accomplish in most cases.

Fabric softeners tend to be "gooey" and accumulate, with the lint over time. This might loosen up the "goo" and flush it on down. Follow up, once you've got it moving again with a washer full of HOT water.

If it is plugged totally, you'll need to snake out the line 1st, then follow with the hot water treatment. Use a long enough snake to get well past the trap and on down the drain line back to the larger main sewer line.

Let us know if you need more help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain in basement backwash [ 2 Answers ]

I want to hook up a basement-level washing machine drain directly into the main sewer pipe leading from the house, which is about 7 feet up off the basement floor, but the water pressure coming from the drainpipe coming out of the washing machine can't compete with the force of the water coming...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Basement Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a washing machine in a concrete framed 113 year old house without floor drains or plumbing. Main sewer lines run above basement level. How or what to do about such a thing? Thanks...

Basement drain hole.can I drain washing machine with this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all.. im new here.ive owned my home for about 5 years and I'm still learing... my current dilemna is that I want move my wsher and dryer to the basement.I think I know how to handle the hot and cold water plumbing but I don't know what to do about the drain... now my basement has a drain hole in...

View more questions Search