Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwwilko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Wiring a 3 speed fan switch (mechanical rotary type)
    My Hampton Bay pedestal fan has a 3 speed rotary switch that broke apart. I was able to reconstruct it but I'm not sure of the wiring. It's terminals are labeled with L, 1, 2, 3 and I have black, white, brown and red wires coming from the fan motor. I'm pretty sure "L" is the black wire but not sure of the other three. I'm told that if the other three wires aren't hooked up in proper order the fan will still operate but the low, med and high speeds won't be in the logical order. The rotary switch is stamped GZS-6 250v E186832 if that helps. By the way, Hampton Bay's website refers all questions and service requirements to your local home depot. Home Depot is at a loss when it comes to things like this. They couldn't even order a part or look up any technical info.

Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Try them with black as L and in whatever other order, and switch them until you get it right.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rotary switch wiring diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old rotary switch, unfortunately without a wiring diagram. It has four settings (off, low, med, hi), and four wiring poles. Contacts rotate at two levels and connect the poles as shown in the attached JPG. My question is how to wire this thing (I assume there are three incoming...

Switch does not change fan speed [ 2 Answers ]

Hunter Ceiling fan and the pull chain does not change the speed. The switch goes through all four settings on, on on off. Is more than the pull switch at fault?

Ceiling fan switch - 4 speed fan sold by sears [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of the switch on my Sears ceiling fan. Any suggestions on where to find a switch replacement or adapt to something else? Sears no longer stocks the part, I have tried Ace Hardware, Home Depot and local ceiling fan store.

Fan speed switch [ 4 Answers ]

What is the proper wiring diagram for replacing a 3 speed / 5 wire switch in a ceiling fan? I have four of the wires properly colored coded and hooked up, but, can not find where the last one goes, since I was not the one who removed the original old switch?

Ceiling fan speed switch [ 2 Answers ]

I removed the speed switch without marking which wires went where. It is a Hampton Bay. Any suggestions as to where a diagram or adivce can be found for the wires? Thanks in advance. Edie

View more questions Search