Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AOTO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Sill Plate
    When building a structure, what are the pro's and con's of a pressure treated treated sill plate and a bottom "Shoe". I have heard that I should use just the sill plate, and others say put another plate on top of that one.. I am wit's end as I need to have this built ina few weeks and before I start framing the walls... I kind of need to know.
    I want to use 10' wall studs, with the two top plates. Do I have one bottom or two?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Sep 19, 2007, 06:44 AM
    A single pressure treated 2 x 6 sill plate is used prior to supporting floor and rim joisting. If this is for a garage wall, still use a 2 x 6 PT plate with the required J bolts in the stemwall or slab pour. If the walls are blind wall framed, then you need to use a 'sole' plate before you raise the wall. Nm wirez
    AOTO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nmwirez
    A single pressure treated 2 x 6 sill plate is used prior to supporting floor and rim joisting. If this is for a garage wall, still use a 2 x 6 PT plate with the required J bolts in the stemwall or slab pour. If the walls are blind wall framed, then you need to use a 'sole' plate before you raise the wall. nm wirez

Okay... The garage floor is obviously flat, with a 9" wall all around (Due to the weather here) The only cut-outs are for where the cars come in and out. I have the J-bolts and the PT 2x6, with sill seal all ready to go. The question really is, do I need another plate to go on top of the PT sill plate? As in, the wall studs can either stand on one piece of flat wood or two?

PS - What is a blind framed wall?

Sep 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
    A blind wall framing is when the wall is framed on the floor and then tilted up into position. Without a sole plate the tilt up will not be a way to go. If you are wall framing in place, then toe-nailing the wall studs into the sill is normal construction method.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
    We always use 1 treated sill plate

Sep 23, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    we always use 1 treated sill plate
    Glavine,

You are absolutely right. The PT sill plate is in contact with structure foundation whether blindwall or built-up stud framing is used. The blind wall framing can use PT but it takes a lot more time to notch or pre-drill and align before tilt-up in a garage. A sole plate on PT sill is usually a more quick way to go in pre-fab with the PT wet set with J bolts in the pour. Tx, nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotten sill [ 16 Answers ]

Hello... I was doing some improvements on my house and I found that I have a rotten beam (sill) and the wall is a load bearing wall, the cable end. How can I support this side of the house and replace this section of beam that is rotten?

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Leak in sill in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. I have a leak in the corner of my basement about 8" in from the side wall. The floor board is wet and the board above the sill is wet. About a 7" area. On the outside I have patio doors however it does not go over to where the patio door is, it is...

Sill in love [ 2 Answers ]

I'm dating my ex-boyfriends friend but the thing is I still have feelings for my ex-boyfriend, but hey don't get me wrong I really like this guy cause he's really good to me, but ever since I started dating this guy people are always telling me how much my ex-boyfriend really liked me and now I'm...

Drywall with no sill plate for support [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has the superior wall system which includes furring strips every 16 inches vertically, but no sill plate or top plate to support the drywall horizontally. Is this a problem? Specifically, should I try to install some sort of sill plate to provide support for the...

View more questions Search