Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trimagna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Installation - Oracle 10 / SqlPlusW TNS PROTOCOL ERROR
    My Oracle 10 installation worked well enough to get a SQL prompt and make some tables.

I tried some utilities like Quest Toad. Then, I couldn't get into SQLPlusW, or at least the login info didn't work.

After many attempts at reinstalling from CD and from CD files copied to my hard disk, then uninstalling, then stopping services, then starting a new User, etc. I still get either a TNS: Protocol Adapter Error.

I'll try to attach some screen images.

Here's my configuration. Windows 2000 Pro. During installation I can choose Enterprise / Standard / Personal. I am not connecting through a network or internet. Everything runs on my local hard disk.

I select Personal. I created several sample files, one each time I reinstalled. The last one is named sept18. I login as DBSNMP with a password of zzzz (4 lowercase z's),

When it worked, the 3rd slot for Host String was blank.

I've manually added the path to the Environment Variable and "set Oracle_SID=sept18".

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    - CarlD
    Attached Images

Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt tnsnames_for_SEPT18_ora.txt (580 Bytes, 266 views)
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Try this,

Open a DOS window and type the following:

tnsping '(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=adsl-75-50-111-217.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.nelnet)(PORT=1521))

If you get a reply, the TNS entry name for the "instance" is correct.

However I don't see a SID in your TNSNAMES.ORA file? You should have the SID entry specified in there like:

(CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID =?? )
    where?? = your SID

I believe you have to specifiy the SID name in the tnsnames.ora file if you are executing an application like SQLPLUS if you have this entry in your SQLNET.ORA file:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oracle Error 12560:tns Protocol Adapter Error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Whenever I try to log in using SCOTT/TIGER userid, I get the error "ORA ERROR 12560:TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTER ERROR". I tried starting the listener from administration-> services, but still the problem persists. Can you please suggest a solution?

Help me---ora12560 tns protocol error [ 5 Answers ]

Hi every one am facing some problem regarding oracle 9i I have installed it on my PC with os xp and whenever I log in with 'scott" and "tiger" I get the error ora-12560 tns protocol error can some one please help me regarding this. Also I have tried editing tnsname.ora but I could hardly...

Oracle 9i Installation issues on W2k Server [ 6 Answers ]

hi, I've installed a dual booting OS running Win XP and Win2000 Server on two partitions namely: C: XP (Fat32 partition), E: W2kServer(NTFS partition) on 20GB each. They are running absolutely fine. Now when I tried to install Oracle 9i Server installation on W2K Server, in the initial stage...

View more questions Search