Ask
    stacy_james66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Scientist Experiments
    Why do Scientist do experiments more than once
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Lets say your experiment is weighing an object. Lets say you do it only once. Lets say that this one time you measure the weight of this object, a fly lands on the object when you are taking the reading without you noticing.

What would happen in this case? Can you answer your question now?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 04:23 PM
    If the Scientist would only run his variables once, he could say that he had absolute proof of what he wanted to prove. To honestly present his findings correctly and scientifically, he needs to verify that the answer he once obtained, can be duplicated and the same answer can be found. Of course there is a margin of error, but a very small margin.
    Let's say the scientist presented his work and findings to a consortium of scientists. Those present should be able to take the experiment and duplicate all the parts of the experiment and come up with the same answer. That is why there are multiple studies done.

I remember my first psych experiment with baby chicks. And I thought I would never use statistics again, but I was wrong. Lol. I had to show that not just once, but in multiple trials, the findings were correct. Had I varied my technique, the results could have been different, faulty in fact.

So for a scientist, once is not enough. He (or she) would never be taken seriously in the science field. For example, look at the life of Marie Curie. She never settled for just once. Amazing woman and brilliant scientist.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Hehe lalla! That's part of the reason! But there's mush more important reasons for it.

1) reproducability
    2) accuracy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Experiments on electricity [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know some good experiments on electricity?:)

URGENT: interpreting gravimetric analysis experiments [ 5 Answers ]

I have this experiment, but I haven't done it yet. It's a gravimetric analysis one where we want to determine the percentage of calcium in a calcium diet supplement tablet. The procedure goes as follows: 1. Weight one Caltrate tablet accurately into a clean 100ml conical flask 2. Add 50.0mL of...

Experiments on enzymes-problem [ 1 Answers ]

Can please someone help give me some idea of : - What experiments can be devised or set up, to find out under what conditions enzymes are most effective? I desperately and urgently need some useful information to write up my project so please please someone help me!!

View more questions Search