Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Sep 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Why does sucrose dissolve in water?
    Why does sucrose dissolve in water?
    chris89 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Take a look at the structure of sucrose.
    http://www.3dchem.com/imagesofmolecules/Sucrose.gif
    It contains many O-H bonds. The distribution of the charge in this O-H parts of the sucrose are such that the Oxygen becomes slightly negative and the Hydrogen slightly positive.
    Water molecules are H2O and looks like H-O-H, therefore the distribution of charge in the water molecule is much the same(the O will be slightly negative, and the H slightly positive). Water molecules will therefore be attracted to the OH parts of the sucrose molecule in such a way that the negative O in H2O will be attracted to the positive H in the OH of the sucrose(opposites attract). These H2O molecules will surroud the sucrose molecules and will break the sucrose molecules away from each other in order to do so, thus the sucrose dissolves.
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Sep 23, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Oh yeah that's true. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Kenmore Dishwasher won't dissolve soap [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore dishwasher has stopped dissolving the Cascade power packs I use. The cascade comes out of the dispenser but is solid at the end of the wash cycle. I can hear water rushing around inside so have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas??

View more questions Search