Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renoolderhome Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Chimney Cap
    Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a stainless steel one for $120 Can. I'm not sure the size of our chimney. Do those prices sound right? What type is recommended? Thanks for the input.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by renoolderhome
    Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a stainless steel one for $120 Can. I'm not sure the size of our chimney. Do those prices sound right? What type is recommended? Thanks for the input.
    Here's a sampling of a stainless cap. I forget where I ordered mine from.

Chimney Caps, Lifetime Warranty: HomeSaver Pro Stainless Chimney Cap

Stainless won't rust.

If you upgrade your furnace so it through wall vents, then you don't need much of a cap.

There has to be enough of a lip on the clay pipe chimney liner to install some of the caps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney cap blew off! [ 17 Answers ]

I finally found the right size chimney cap (size 7) for my chimney. My home inspector recommended it so I didn't get rain down my chimney. Cap looks like this: Amazon.com: Vent Pipe Caps: BIC Superstore I bought a tin one online for about $11 and last weekend, the boyfriend placed it on top...

Rain down my Chimney [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that has an older model gas furnace with a brick chimney and when it rains I get water coming out of my vent pipe in my basement just before it attaches to the furnace. I do not have a cap on my chimney and was wondering if I should install one and if so what king should I buy? On...

Chimney repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cracked flu pipe at the top of my chimney. Can this be replaced without tearing down the top two feet of the chimney?

Chimney draft [ 2 Answers ]

Having trouble with getting the draft (smoke) to UP the chimney. It seems to be coming down and into the house. This is not a new fireplace but just started this season.

Chimney starter [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to make my own chimney starter for charcoal grill./ Think use large cans but unsure where the air holes would be placed and what size. Many thanks

View more questions Search