Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimeebarry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Single, $52,000 salary, No property owned.How should I file?
    I am 24, Single and own no property. I make about $52,000 a year and would like some advice on how to file. Right now I am 0 for Federal and 1 for State. I am looking to take home less on my checks to get more of a refund at the end of the year. Am I filed correctly? Or should I be at 0 Fed and 0 State?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
    You mean how should you fill out your W4? Is that your question?

Do you like loaning money for free? Because that's what you are doing when you increase your withholding to get a large refund. If you want to save money, do an automatic deposit to a savings account. Don't lend Uncle Sam money without interest.

Sep 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Yes I mean for my W4. So your saying to have less taken out so that I get more on my checks since my money is sitting with the govt. until they refund it?

Sep 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
    For as long as I can remember, my federal tax returns have fluctuated at give or take less than $100. Sometimes I have to pay, most of the time, I get back a small refund.

This is because I use the W4 to increase my take home and decrease my withholding. Uncle Sam will not lend me money interest free so I see no reason to do that for them.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Scott has it right.

ANY refund, either federal or state, is an interest-free loan to the government.

You should strive to withhold as little as possible, and write a check as close to $1,000 (the maximum allowed without incurring an under-withholding penalty) when you file and mail your return on 15 April 2008.

Sep 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Ok, I think I get it, but I'm not 100% sure. So your saying I should change my withholdings to get more back on my checks.. So for example, change my state withholding to 0 to maximize my takehome pay? One thing I want to avoid is paying at the end of the year. I didn't understand the $1000 thing you were talking about. Can you clarify? Sorry =) I really appreciate your help.

Sep 18, 2007, 04:17 PM
    The IRS doesn't like it when their cash flow is limited. So if you wind up having to pay more than $1000 there may be a penalty.

You shouldn't worry about paying as long as it's a small amount. If you are concerned put the extra amount in your paycheck in a saving account and you can draw on it to pay your taxes. At least will be getting some interest on the money.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Scott hit it on the head.

Sep 20, 2007, 09:19 AM
    So I need to change my withholdings then to 0 state & 0 fed? Also, will it affect me differently since the tax year is almost over? Should I wait until Jan.

Sep 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
    You might want to consider getting Quicken or Microsoft Money. I believe both have tax planners that cn advise you what to set your W4 for. If you set everything to 0, that will cause the maximum withholding. You want to increase exemptions to decrease withholding.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Try File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT.

I have found the Tax Planner portion on the TaxAct software that I use to be very good. The website may offer free use of similar software on-line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File single or file separate [ 2 Answers ]

I am engaged to marry a woman who lives in Switzerland. We both have sizable incomes and we do not want to pay substantially more taxes in either country. Currently I file single. When I simply changed the status of my filing in TurboTax from single to Married filing separately, the tax burden...

Moble home repo on private property, not owned by moble home owner [ 3 Answers ]

I am the land owner of some property in Georgia, I let my Sister place her mobile home on this private property. The question is, does the repo company have the right to come on my property and destroy my trees, bust water lines, run over my shrubs etc, be rude and over barring without contacting...

To file single or mfj on a L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I have a L1 visa and received a W-2 in the state of Florida. My wife is not here with me and I am the only one with the L1 visa. How do I file my federal income tax return?

Making several binary files into single file [ 1 Answers ]

We have software which stores data into multiple binary files. We want to combine all those file into single file without compression so that end user will not be confused with several files but be comfortable with single file. We want to know how to make several files into a single file and how to...

Making several doc files into a single file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have several word 97 doc files. I wd like to make them all into a single file. Is there an easy way of doing it instead of doing manually inserting each file into current file? 2. Can MP3 files be compressed? Thanks for the reply. Ramdas ?

View more questions Search