Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blazed Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
    Newly Built Computer Problems
    Me and My Friend are building a computer for my girlfriend and when we put all the pieces together and started it up everything worked(Fans, HD Booted, Floppy, CD DVD Roms,LEDS) The only thing that won't seem to work is the monitor. We first Tried plugging it into the video card that we put in then we tried the onboard Graphics. We've tried other monitors and were unable to have it receive a signal.
    If you have any troubleshooting tips id greatly appreciate them.
    *We are also unsure of the prossessor(Would that have anything to do with it?)
    Thanks
    Blazed
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Do you hear any beeps when the PC boots up? If so, check the graphics card to make sure it's seated properly.

If you get no beeps, the next thing I would do is to reseat the RAM to make sure that is in properly.

After that, next point of call for me would be the motherboard or processor. Is the processor seated properly. It is possible you grounded the motherboard to the case. Did you separate the mobo and the case using the standoffs and the used the little washers (normally red) on the screws you screwed the mobo down with?

A number of mobo's nowadays come with some kind of diagnostic tool with 4 lights on. Using a combination of these lights, it can tell you what's wrong the PC is trying to do. Don't suppose you have something like that?

Sep 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
    The Prossessor was my guess. At first we DID have a 3 beep post test, but we fixed that with new ram, when I get the Computer back ill check to see if the mobo got grounded somewhere. WE'll probably replace the prossessor in the coming days.

Sep 26, 2005, 12:35 PM
    No, sadly I don't have a Diagnostic Tool, Im sure if I look around I could find one at a local computer repair store. But, I have been asking around and I'm getting conflicting opinions. Someone was saying that the prossessor would have nothing to do with the Monitor not working and other people are saying it could have something to do with it. Im getting a lot of It's the Graphics card, but like I said before I tried the onboard graphics and have used other graphics cards. Ive tried different monitors and still nothing. So if anyone else has any opinions please post them up here.
    Thanks
    Blazed
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 26, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Try removing everything except the processor (& fan) and the memory. Sometimes when an IDE cable is on the wrong way round, it will stop the machine doing anything!

Also plug your monitor into the onboard socket & remove graphics card!

Sep 30, 2005, 04:41 PM
    Monitor and PSU
    So I tried what you told me to do. I unplugged everything but the PSU the prossessor and the prossessor fan. Hooked the monitor to the onboard port and still nothing. The monitor does flash a little bit when I turn the computer on but that's about it. An new thing I just noticed is that the PSU makes a really high pitch noise when I turn it on as well. Any Idea if that has to do with it?

Oct 1, 2005, 12:46 PM
    You need to have the memory in as well!

A PSU shouldn't make a high pitched noise so It may well be faulty. Do you have another one you can swap for testing purposes?

The only other thing I can suggest is to reset the cmos on the motherboard, there should be a page in the mobo manual to do this (usually short two pins with a jumper and replace back to original position).

You say that you're unsure of the cpu - does this mean whether it works or what speed it is? If you have the wrong cpu for the board forget it. Try to find out the details of the chip and check the manual for any bus speed or multiplier settings you have to make on the motherboard.

If this doesn't work it's back to the shop!

Oct 1, 2005, 03:41 PM
    Ram was in it. Um the Prossessor came with the mobo, it's the correct pin-set. There is no manual for this mobo, It was taking outa of a working computer so I assumed it should have worked. Can you give me a general idea on how to reset the CMOS? Because I've seriously tried everything I can think of and I'm not really a newbie to building computers, I built the one I'm using right now and it works great.

Oct 2, 2005, 05:38 AM
    If you can identify the mobo you should be able to download a manual - search for a program called Aida - this is quite good at identifying components. If not look on the mobo for any jumpers labeled cmos. There's usually 3 pins 1 & 2 are usually shorted & 3 remains open. To reset your cmos just move the jumper to 2 & 3 for a few seconds and then return to 1 & 2.

Have you tried swapping the psu also?

Oct 2, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Psu
    I have no other PSU to swap it out with :( Imma look around to find one thought because knowing my luck its probably the PSU causing the problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer problems [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to get my computer back up for about a week. About a week and a half ago my computer was getting slow so I reformated, which I've done before whenever it gets bad. After I reformated, my computer would flash a black screen whenever I exited a program that would take over the screen...

Win XP PRO problems with a new computer [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a Celeron 2.4 GHz and I have XP PRO SP2 installed on it. I went to a shop and bought myself an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (dual core) with an ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard and 1GB of RAM. I got it home, assembled it, connected my "old" hard disk which I used on my Celeron, and...

Built a Computer - no power! [ 5 Answers ]

I built a computer last night - powered it on, the fan on the power supply turned for about a second & nothing! I pulled out all the boards & DVD, hard, floppy cables, powered up and again, nothing! I don't even hear a buzz from the power supply. I even took the motherboard out of the case...

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Computer is slow and other problems... [ 2 Answers ]

Well ever since a couple days ago my PC has been running slow, like something is stressing it out. Like, when I go on AOL Instant Messenger before the program starts up its memory usage (from task manager) is 5,000 then when it connects and it fully started up its memory usage is like 29,000! And...

View more questions Search