Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bipinpatel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
    How I can connect PC and laptop?
    Hi sir,
    I have one qution.

How I can connect PC and laptop with cross over cable?

If you want any chang in my PC then tell me.

Please tell me about ip address of both PC.

Please give me step for connection.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Connect cable between two devices

Open my network places

Search for the other PC's name and open the drive
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2007, 06:10 AM
    You need to assign a specific IP to each. Use 192.168.1.1 and 1.2.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You need to assign a specific IP to each. Use 192.168.1.1 and 1.2.
    Well, technically he could wait a few minutes for APIPA to start working... I don't like apipa though.

If you've got a crossover cable, and a network card in each computer, plug the cable into each computer, go to control panel, network connections, right click the one that's for the network (won't be wireless, 1394, or any dialup connection, it will probably say ethernet, 10/100, or LAN), click Properties, scroll down, double click Internet Protocol, change it to Use the Following, and set the settings as follows:

IP address: 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.2 on the other computer)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Leave blank
    Primary DNS Server: Leave blank
    Secondary DNS Server: Leave Blank

Hit OK, and OK again. Close all your open windows.

You should be able to right click a file now, go to Sharing and Security, share it, and have it show up on the other after a few minutes.

You can see what's shared on a computer by going to the RUN box from the start menu, and typing in two slashes \\ followed by the IP address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2
    So if you put 192.168.1.1 on the laptop, you would type \\192.168.1.1 in the run box, and hit enter, to see what's shared on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect laptop to PC [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a novice when it comes to computers so can somebody help please. I have a desktop machine with a broadband connection and want to occasionally connect my laptop to the same connection instead (or as well as if possible). Both have Windows XP with service packs installed. I thought it would be a...

Connect laptop but not desktop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi hope you can help, I have recently got a new internet connection and can connect using ethernet to my laptop but not to my desktop. The wireless connection will not work at all. I use Xp pro on the desktop and xp home on the laptop. My network connections box says the connection is running but...

Connect laptop to PC problem [ 6 Answers ]

I want to connect my laptop to my PC. PC setting: Ip 192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Laptop setting Ip 192.168.1.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 I'm using cross over ethernet lan cable.

How to connect laptop to PC [ 9 Answers ]

I've been meaning to transfer the files from my laptop to PC for a while and today I've finally bought Ethernet crossover cable... But unfortunately I do not know where to go from here. They are both running XP with SP1. As I want to transfer files form laptop to PC, I understand laptop is going...

How to connect a laptop with xp with a PC win98 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop with winxp and another computer with win98 , I have no network card nor a usb cable , I would like to know how to connect them using a serial or parallel cable, Thanks in ahead ;) Basim

View more questions Search