Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mirwin99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Closing a 401K account while you have a loan
    Does anyone know if you can close a 401K account with an employer while you have a loan that you are paying back? I am in serious need of money and that is the only option I can think of. Any help would be appreciated!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I believe by law you can only borrow up to 50% of the value of your 401(k), so no, you can't take out a loan and then withdraw the remainder of your balance. I believe what would happen is the loan would no longer be considered a loan but would be redefined as a premature withdrawal, which would generate the 10% early withdrawal penalty plus income taxes owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Closing bank account [ 1 Answers ]

I am closing a small bank account and putting the remaining $$ in the general cash account. What is the credit side of this entry?

Closing my 401K? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier last year from the...

Closing a 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I'm on a Leave of Absence from my place of employment. I need money and the only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier this year, from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is...

View more questions Search