Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Sep 17, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Kitchen Light
    I have 2 34 watt fluorescent lights for my kitchen. I used to have 36 watt lights, but replaced them. My problem is that the 36 watt lights did not blow out, nor did the 34 watt lights, but my lights do not come on. I checked the circuit breaker and that seemed fine. Tomorrow I am going to turn the breaker off then on and see if that works. Everything else is fine and working in the house. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong or what I can do to fix the problem myself? I am not an electrician, so I will not rewire my house.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Each fluorescent fixture contains a ballast, which is a special transformer designed to increase voltage and limit current to start and run a fluorescent lamp. Open you fixture and you should find a black box with several wires coming out of it. Note the model number and type and quantity of lamps it is operating and purchase a replacement.

This is of course, you have checked for 120 volts input at the fixture to be sure the circuit and switch is operating properly.

Also be sure that the fixture is grounded properly, as fluorescent lamps need a grounded surface to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay track light - pendant light cord length [ 2 Answers ]

How can I shorten the length of the light cord on a Hampton Bay track system ? There is a tube that plugs into the track that has a serries of screws but there is also a screw at the light base also.

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Hampton Bay Lighting - Upper Light Does Not Work But Low Light Does [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Fan that has a fan, upper lighting and lower lighting with a remote model UC7078T. The remote works for the fan and lower lighting but not the upper lighting. This means the remote and fan are on the same frequency. I've confirmed that the bulbs are all good. Can't find a...

Kitchen pendant light 110 to 220? [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a pendant lamp for my kitchen and its from europe. I believe its 220v. I currently have a 60w "regular" light bulb screwed in and cants seem to get the light to work. Do I need a 220v bulb or is the issue with my wiring 110 to 220? Thanks

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search