Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1sillivan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Stripping paint and staining
    I just bought a home that was built in 1910. The front door has windows above the door and along the side of the door. The entry way is hard wood floors. But around the window and the door has been painted white. The question is, could I remove the white paint and bring back a more natural wood color to this area to go with the hard wood floors? If so what would I need to get started on this project?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Sep 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
    You'll need a semi-paste stripper, putty knives, scrapers, brushes, rags (lot's of rags!) and newspapers, dropcloths, etc. PROTECT YOUR HARDWOOD FLOORS FROM DRIPS!! Apply the stripper per manufacturer's directions. Scrape with the grain of the wood. Make sure you remove all of the stripper (I like to do a final wipe down with mineral spirits, or, if it's a shellac finish, denatured alcohol). Take your time. Also, PROTECT YOUR HARDWOOD FLOORS FROM DRIPS!! Come back if you need any more detail or have any other questions.
    1sillivan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Thank you for the information, this will be able to get me started.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
    You have my sympathies - I mean congratulations on your historic home! We bought a circa 1900 home and the best day of my life was the day we sold it.

There are strippers you can find that are green friendly and aren't so strong fume wise, too. I found that the gel one worked well when I put it on thin, then layered cling wrap over it and let it sit for longer than the instructions say. If you are dealing with ancient paint (or paint with lead) - it is going to take longer for the solvent to work. A heat stripper is also handy and does big flat areas quickly.

Have fun!
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
    I think you'll ned a good game plan on this as depending on which way the sun comes in, that wood maybe be pretty sun-damaged or rotted form condensation or whatever.
    So the paint was a cheap way to cover up whatever damage, and there may be none at all, there might be.
    So I think you might want to start on a small area before doing large area stripping as you might be slapping on more white paint to match or??

To rate if helpful. Thanks!
    slsesprat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sillivan
    I just bought a home that was built in 1910. The front door has windows above the door and along the side of the door. The entry way is hard wood floors. But around the window and the door has been painted white. The question is, could I remove the white paint and bring back a more natural wood color to this area to go with the hard wood floors? If so what would I need to get started on this project?
    How do I remove paint that is peeling from the ceiling in a bathroom so that it can be primed and re-painted?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair stripping! [ 7 Answers ]

hi there, I've just made an even more huge mistake than before. I have been dying my hair for years, and about a year and a half ago I dyed my hair 'chocolate brown'. This then came out as black and has been the same since. I never knew what to do with it before, so just kept putting the same...

Stripping paint from plaster walls... [ 2 Answers ]

I've been able to chip away most of the paint on my 1930's houses' plaster walls down to the plaster. There were two layers of paint and they came off very easily from the wall... almost like an eggshell off an egg. There was a border along the top of the wall, and the paint layers under the...

Stripping concrete [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best method for stripping a concrete floor that has heavy mortar where ceramic tile once was, and heavy mastic where carpet was glued down. I cannot use a chemical because they are putting the same material back down and I am afraid the chemical will retard the re-application.

Stripping hair [ 1 Answers ]

Few months ago I dyed my hair dark brown with a semi perminat hair colour, then a week ago I dyed under my fringe with a dark red, that is semi perminant as well, is there any home remidides to use to completely strip that out your hair, I herd lemon juice works but how often do I have to use it or...

Stripping paint from limestone fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a limestone fireplace and mantle. It has several coats of paint. Any suggestions for stripping it safely, as in no methyl chloride or similar. Know of any mechanical strippers that would work as in pin strippers?

View more questions Search