Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjr1016a Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Does my landlord owe me security deposit?
    Hello everyone,

I moved out of my apartment on August 1, 2007. I was told that at leat $236.00 of my $600.00 security deposit would be returned because there were some things in the apartment that they charged us for. (there was one small golf ball size hole the wall from my treadmill, which I asked them to fix and they never did) I said OK, but as my lease states, you have send me a detailed letter with the itemized charges. I asked them when I could expect my security deposit. They told me 45 days. Ok. They walk through was done on August 2nd, and I still don't have my money or the charges.

Can I sue them?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
    You can sue them, but you can sue anyone anytime. The question is... "Do I have a case?" The answer to that is, maybe. Have you been in contact with them since they did the walk-through? Also, each state is different, where did this take place?

This site should be able to answer your questions:

Security Deposit Guide Security Deposit Law

Sep 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSnownw
    You can sue them, but you can sue anyone anytime. The question is..."Do I have a case?" The answer to that is, maybe. Have you been in contact with them since they did the walk-through? Also, each state is different, where did this take place?

This site should be able to answer your questions:

Security Deposit Guide Security Deposit Law
    I have not been in contact with them since the walk through. I am in Maryland.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
    You need to check the laws for your state, but since 45 days have past from your vacate date. That would seem more than enough time.

Sep 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Yes, just click on the "Maryland," link on that website. You should contact the landlord/real estate company, as well. It would appear that Maryland has laws designed to give you the upper-hand. So, check out the link I provided, and it should give you a good idea of your next steps. Good Luck.

Sep 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the information!

Sep 17, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSnownw
    Yes, just click on the "Maryland," link on that website. You should contact the landlord/real estate company, as well. It would appear that Maryland has laws designed to give you the upper-hand. So, check out the link I provided, and it should give you a good idea of your next steps. Good Luck.

Hello

I clicked on the link you gave me and reviewed the Maryland tenant law and found that the property failed to send me a statement of charges (which I requested) and my security deposit within 45 days so everything they were trying to charge me for is null and void now. Come to find out the property manager admitted that the letter was never mailed to me because of incompetence within her office. So I called the district manager of the property, told her my situation and she said you are absolutely right. It is our loss and we will have the whole security deposit to you, which will be mailed today. (of course I will wait to see if they actually do what they say they are going to do) Fortunately a new company has taken over the property and they are trying to "clean house" so to speak.

I guess I could have researched it myself but having that link there made it easier.

Thanks

Sep 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjr1016a
    Hello

I clicked on the link you gave me and reviewed the Maryland tenant law and found that the property failed to send me a statement of charges (which I requested) and my security deposit within 45 days so everything they were trying to charge me for is null and void now. Come to find out the property manager admitted that the letter was never mailed to me because of incompetence within her office. So I called the district manager of the property, told her my situation and she said you are absolutely right. It is our loss and we will have the whole security deposit to you, which will be mailed today. (of course I will wait to see if they actually do what they say they are going to do) Fortunately a new company has taken over the property and they are trying to "clean house" so to speak.

I guess I could have researched it myself but having that link there made it easier.

Thanks
    Glad to be of service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Some laws include a penalty of double the deposit if they fail to meet the time limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights of landlord for security deposit [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in New Hampshire and wanted to know about what the law in New Hampshire is for security deposits. I see many sites devoted to tenants but none to landlords. I have a townhouse that I rented out. They had signed a 1 year lease. They lived there for 2 years. We never had them renew...

Chasing Landlord for security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I rented an apartment in Minneapolis for 1.5 month from the home owner. I was aware of my short stay there hence I signed a short term monthly lease with a notice period of 15 days. At the time of vacating the apartment I fulfilled all lease terms, gave them written notice through email, cleaned...

Return of Security Deposit from Landlord in Foreclosure [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We find ourselves in an unusual predicament regarding the lack of return of our security deposit and are in need of some advice/recommendations... We signed a one year lease on a new construction home and gave the required security deposit. We leased through a property management/real...

Landlord not paying back security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new...

View more questions Search