Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranjit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2005, 05:26 PM
    Toilet problem
    We recently moved to our new home which is build in 1950's. I have two bathrooms. In one of the bathroom, the toilet started giving problems. When you flush the water comes almost near the rim and then it starts going down the drains very slowly. I used an additive and also used the plunger for couple of days thinking that if there is a clog it will get removed. After few days there was some improvement in flushing but still not perfect as compared to other toilet in the second bathroom. Today I discovered the if I hold down the flush for couple of minutes then lots of water goes and flushing is still better. But there is no whirlpool motion to the water. Now I am confused whether it's a toilet problem or a sewage drain or septic tank problem. This is my first problem of being a homeowner :confused: Please help ! And Thanks in advance !
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2005, 03:10 AM
    If this is the only drain with a problem, you've probably got something lodged in the toilet.

If plunging with a good plunger (like this ) then you might have some luck with a toilet auger (like this ).

If neither work, then it's a matter of pulling up the toilet, turning it upside down and hoping you can get to and remove the obstruction.

If the first two steps don't work - and you've never pulled a toilet before, write back and one of us will give you the 1-2-3.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjit
    We recently moved to our new home which is build in 1950's. I have two bathrooms. In one of the bathroom, the toilet started giving problems. When you flush the water comes almost near the rim and then it starts going down the drains very slowly. I used an additive and also used the plunger for couple of days thinking that if there is a clog it will get removed. After few days there was some improvement in flushing but still not perfect as compared to other toilet in the second bathroom. Today I discovered the if I hold down the flush for couple of minutes then lots of water goes and flushing is still better. But there is no whirlpool motion to the water. Now I am confused whether its a toilet problem or a sewage drain or septic tank problem. This is my first problem of being a homeowner :confused: Please help ! and Thanks in advance !
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together.
    Regards, Tom
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2005, 03:17 AM
    When the plunger and toilet auger does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjit
    I just read your reply for my "Toilet Problem". WHile reading you mentioned about a plunger but I was not able to open that web page. I have used a vacuum sort of a good plunger from K Mart and I must have used it so many times but still the problem is not solved. If I hold the flsuh button for a longer time the flushing is better but still no whirlpool motion. Other thing I have never ever pulled a toilet so little bit shaky to do that process :( But please guide me to solve my problem. I thought maybe changing the toilet will solve the problem but if it a drain problem I certainly need your help ! Thanks.
    I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add this to that thread, 1. for the benefit of others in the future, and 2. to hope speedball1 might pipe in too. He is far more expert than I.

1. This is the only kind of toilet plunger worth having. You push it down over the hole slowly, the let it expand... filling with water. Then with force you push down. Let fill with water again and repeat a few times.

2. When this does not work we then try a toilet auger, like this:

3. If that does not work, we pull the toilet.

Check out a couple of these articles to familiarize yourself with the process.

The key for you is
    1. Be very gentle with it. The tank is only held to the bowl by 3 screws.
    2. Very carefully tip it foreword... all the way so that the front lip of the tank is on towels or something on the floor.
    3. Use a flashlight and an angled mirror like this
    to peer up into the hole from the bottom of the toilet.

You will see that that hole takes 2 sharp turns, so in reality you can not see every bit of it... but what we usually find is a comb, toilet paper holder, tweezers, toys, etc. lodged up in there.

If you cannot see anything, try running that toilet auger, or even a bent up coathanger up through the toilet from the bottom - trying to dislodge whatever it is that might be past the bend where you cannot see it.

4. 1 in 10 times we have to do all of this, we still can't get anything out of the toilet, and just replace it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 09:23 AM
    I'd be hard pressed to improve on the excellent advice that Rick gave you, (with pictures yet, very impressive) Pulling a toilet and going in from the bottom to remove a obstruction is a dirty messy job and best left to us dirty messy plumbers. Good luck and keep us informed. Tom
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2005, 09:30 AM
    :D
    Thanks, Tom!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Pump/Tank/Toilet Problem? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs bathroom connected to a tank with a pump to move sewage up & out to our septic system. When the toilet is flushed, the water drains slowly, the bowl almost fills completely and the sink & toilet both start to gurgle & bubble. The drain line from the washing machine sink is...

Toilet Flange Problem [ 1 Answers ]

In my 1940's bathroom remodel the old toilet didn't even have a flange.After replacing the rotted floor around the toilet,I have my ceramic tile down and it's flush with the top of the cast iron pipe.My question is what type of flange to use.The cast iron only goes down 1 3/4" before it narrows and...

Toilet flange problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have two toilets that both have broken pvc flanges. I have tried to install one of the flange repair rings and the toilet won't seat properly with in on there. One toilet is currently not in use due to my inability to fix this problems thusfar. My question is, how difficult will it be for me to...

Toilet Water Supply Problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently finished installing a new toilet in my bathroom (Much thanks to Speedball1) and I have run into a problem connecting the water supply. I have a half inch CPVC coming out of the wall to the shut off valve, on top of the shut off valve is 5/8" compression in CPVC. So far I...

Please help... toilet problem [ 1 Answers ]

I am clueless about plumbing and I have no idea what the parts are in the toilet. But this is what is happening... my toilet is making a loud running water noise and when I look in the toilet, it is bubbling and it won't really flush. When I press the handle it just goes down. When I looked in the...

View more questions Search