Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badboy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Osb board and tyvex
    I am planning to build in SC and want to know if I should have the builder wrap the house with tyvex with the use of osb board?

Art
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Sep 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
    I think you are referring to Tyvek . Tyvek is a membrane used to wrap a house or structure before the final siding is installed. In my opinion its worth it to use it on any house it helps seal out moisture and insulate if only to a slight degree. Anyway just my opinion if I were building a house I would use it.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Sep 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
    I agree with AC101. Should work very well for you.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Sep 23, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy1
    I am planning to build in SC and want to know if I should have the builder wrap the house with tyvex with the use of osb board?

art
    Even though OSB is a resin based water-resistant product, the sheathing is mainly used for shearwall structure and not waterproofing. Most inspections (west coast) require a waterproof membrane over the shearwall joints and corner wraps before siding. Nm
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 2, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Its not a code to use it, but it should be, a lot of older homes don't have it or they used roofing felt,
    As for your question yes, wrap the house it is worth it
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Her is a link telling a little about Tyvek.

DuPont™ Tyvek® Weatherization Systems

It is not necessary,but it does make sense to use on new construction,its easy to install,not costly,and does take some air/moisture penetration(although moisture should not be an issue after the exterior is finished)etc. in stride,where plastic is too much of a vapor barrier,it keeps fumes like radon,etc, inside,Tyvek allows some breathing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 07:50 AM
    You have the advice of several good people and it apeears that they are all correct in saying yes. Tyvek is just one brand name for this covering. Typar and others are very similar. I don't believe Tyvek claims any insulation rating or moisture sealing but it does stop air. This sheeting keeps wind out yet allows the home to breath. What exterior sheeting will go on top?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Oct 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
    For all those who think membrane covering is not needed, both the UBC and IRC require wall exterior flashing in most areas. (IRC R703.8 lists 7 locations that require 'flashing' around openings and wall and roof intersections.) OSB sheathing does not prevent water or moisture penetration. The PO asked about needing to use Tyvek and the answer of not required may mislead by not including that there must be a covering such as Kraft or felt to be installed on exterior transitions. It is easier, cheaper and stronger to install Tyvek wrap than mess with pieces of flashing in individual applications. FWIW, check with the building department that may require a weather barrier in your local jurisdiction. Nm
    mikeagri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy1 View Post

art
    South Carolina is a VERY wet and humid environment. I'd worry more about OSB sheathing than house wrap. When OSB gets wet, it literally disintegrates. In that climate, you'd be a lot better off viv-a-vis durability and resistance to pests [carpenter ants and termites in particular], by using PT plywood sheathing with Tyvek, Typar, or any good house wrap\moisture barrier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a ouija board alone [ 173 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a Ouija Board (the glow in the dark one) yesterday; I've never before used one in my life but researched and have some knowledge about it. Why are people not supposed to use them alone? And also, I have what I would call a 'sixth sense' anyway where I see and hear things most...

OSB repair [ 1 Answers ]

An outside faucet leaked for some time inside the exterior wall before it was noticed. Now on investigating I find the OSB sheathing to be rotting in this area. The outside wall is synthetic stucco and interior wall cedar. My access to the area in question is a 14" x 14" access panel and 3" along...

OSB used in construction [ 8 Answers ]

Can I use this type of board for walls and roof and floors for my shed if I intend to cover the exterior in sheetmetal?. if so, should I paint all of the OS.. just in case it rains while I'm building?. this is going to be a 1 man job so its going to take me awhile.. thanks for any help

Leaving the Board [ 65 Answers ]

Due to some people on here my replies will be given to those who wish to ask me a question via an email address, My time is given to help those who genuinley need advise and help and not those who want to waste time with petty comment on others answers. Sorry for any inconvienience this may cause...

View more questions Search