Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandydurai Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 07:15 AM
    How do I save money on Car Loan?
    Hi,

I owned a new 2007 Honda civic and have a car loan on that for an amount of 21K. This loan is for 5 years. I had been paying the installment about $340 per month without fail for the past 9 months. The current interest reate is 8.5% and I have a co-payer since I was not having credit score at that time.

I am getting some credit card offers now. Is there a way to save some money?:D

If you know please... :p

Thanks

Pandy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Generally credit card interest will be higher. If you can get an account with a large credit line and do a transfer with a loe rate for the life of the transfer you might be able to save money.

If you own a home, a home equity loan might be a solution, the interest rate would be about the same but it would be tax deductible.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 17, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Join a Credit Union, and check their rates. With 9 months under your belt, the CU might offer a lower rate. If not today, perhaps a few months down the road. Good luck.
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Sep 17, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pandydurai
    Hi,

I owned a new 2007 Honda civic and have a car loan on that for an amount of 21K. This loan is for 5 years. I had been paying the installment about $340 per month without fail for the past 9 months. The current interest reate is 8.5% and I have a co-payer since i was not having credit score at that time.

I am getting some credit card offers now. Is there a way to save some money?:D

If you know please....:p

Thanks

Pandy
    Ya, sell the car and buy one for 10K or even 5K :D
    AndyWilliams Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Go visit a Credit Union - you should have established some decent credit by now. See what type of a break you can get on your interest rate and your payment. If this doesn't work, it may be time to check the KBB value on your car at New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site and see if getting a new vehicle makes sense. I would not recommend transferring any of your current balance to credit cards.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Hi Thank you for your suggestion! :p

Now I recevied an offer from Sovereign /Mastercard with 0% APR till December 2008 if I accept a balance transfer or cash advance. This is for one year.

Just curoius to know what is the risk in it if I take this? I am sure that no financial organization would offer anything without a profit in it..

If I accept this means I should start pay EMI(monthly payment) to this mastercard after one year?

Please suggest.. :)

Pandy

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Generally credit card interest will be higher. If you can get an account with a large credit line and do a transfer with a loe rate for the life of the transfer you might be able to save money.

if you own a home, a home equity loan might be a solution, the interest rate would be about the same but it would be tax deductible.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:33 AM
    First, it would depend on the offer. Most balance transfer deals require that you make a minimum monthly payment. And if you are ever late with a payment, the interest rate reverts to the normal rate.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:40 AM
    First, it would depend on the offer. Most balance transfer deals require that you make a minimum monthly payment. And if you are ever late with a payment, the interest rate reverts to the normal rate.
    Thank you! :)

I am ready to make monthly payment and my current monthly payment is $350 for another 4 years.

If I accept this balance transfer then can I save some money in this regard considering the fact that I need not pay interest for another one year. But then how this mastercard make profit? So far I was paying my intallment in time.. and I would do the same in future.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:50 AM
    The idea for them is they get a customer and if you don't pay the balance in full prior to the end of the promotion period the interest gets jacked up. You need to know what the interest will be. But I would NOT do this unless you can pay off the balance before the promotion ends. Either by taking another loan or whatever.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Hello pandy:

They are BANKING on the fact that you might be ONE day late at some point in time. THEN they raise your interest rate WAYYYY beyond where it is now. The next thing, is that if you haven't paid ALL your car payments by the end of the first year, the interest rate will go sky high on the balance that you owe. Of course, you WON'T have paid off all your car loan in that time, and you'll be screwed.

excon

Oct 10, 2007, 06:56 AM
    One other point, you can't use the card for anything else while you have a promotional balance. They will always apply your payment otwards the promotional balance and any purchases balance will continue to accrue and COMPOUND interest.

Oct 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
    One other point, you can't use the card for anything else while you have a promotional balance. They will always apply your payment otwards the promotional balance and any purchases balance will continue to accrue and COMPOUND interest.
    Thank you! :) your comments were so helpful... I am able to understand how this stuff works:p Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Pandy
    nguyen611 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Hi Pandy,
    One way for you to save money on your car loan without having to make any major changes is to adjust the frequency of your payment. This simple yet effective method can be easily applied to your car loan which will save you quite a bit of money. For more details on this technique and its explanation go to the following link:

http://www.mooneytalk.com/2009/10/how-to-save-money-on-your-car-loan.html

I hope this helps and good luck.
    -Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Should we sell our home to save money [ 5 Answers ]

Hello- My husband and I have an oppurtunity to sell our home and pay off all of our debt and still have a little saving left over. We were going to move into my parents home and they are moving into there 2nd home. We are going to just take over paying the utilites while we are there. Its an...

Bad Credit No Money Down Loan [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find a mortgage, or to get a loan to purchase a home for people with low income, no money down and bad credit? My husband and I can not stay where we were living previously because of unreconsilable differences with the home owners. We have 3 children and can not afford...

Can't Save MOnEy$ I'm I ginx [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my husband work he makes about $11 hr weekly and I make $7 hr bi weekly and I every time he gets a pay check we don't have money left for the week. Yes we have rent & bills but it seems like money goes by fast... I have a savings acct. and I only have $5 in it. Why can I have more than...

Can bank take money out for own loan without permission? [ 4 Answers ]

I have business checking and personal checking with one bank. I had line of credit for business with personal guarranty. They took out past due payment out from my personal checking and they said they can do it by loan aggrement. But they did not notify me in addvance and they took whatever there...

View more questions Search