Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdinsc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Smoke alarm
    How come my hardwired smoke alarms are chirping?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Hi, it means that the backup battery is running low. All fire alarms have batteries whether hard-wired or not in case of power outage (which is probable during a fire).

If replacing the back-up battery does not solve the problem, then it means the alarm is malfunctioning and should be replaced.
    Since you have multiple alarms chirping, then it's probably that they were fitted at the same time and the batteries are at about the same charge. Sounds like it's time to replace the batteries.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:05 AM
    No idea sorry, it should be obvious though. Open up one of the units and have a look inside. It's probably a round watch type battery. It should be fairly obvious otherwise some people would have no hope of replacing their batteries!

(this is a guess!)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
    What kind of detector do you have? Most that are ceiling mounted twist off counter clockwise about a quarter turn and then drop down. If powered by AC, then there will be a wiring harness attached to the back or top of the detector. Here you will find a small door or cover that needs to be opened to reveal the 9 volt battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 degrees outside Smoke alarm went off today [ 7 Answers ]

I was finished taking a shower downstairs and my upstairs smoke alarm went off. It is located directly under the hatch that leads to the roof. I put the exhaust fan on in the bathroom, and nothing happened. It was 74 degreess in the house and about 99 degrees outside. When I opened the roof...

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm?

Smoke Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery. Thanks, Eric

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

View more questions Search