Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    integrator Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Tax Exemption for L2A working spouse
    Hi-

I am on L1A visa and my spouse is on L2 (dependent visa). Let's say I process her L2 work authorization and she starts working (which gets her issued SSN) and our individual status per Substantial presence test works out as Resident Alien. My queries are as below -

Can I claim the same standard deduction for the spouse who's working on L2 visa , as I would if when she was not working?

I believe my tax filing status would be "Married Filing Jointly". Does my wife also needs to file return on her income separately, while I claim tax exemption for her in my return? Kindly let know her tax filing status.

Pl. advise.

Cheers!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 08:39 AM
    You may or may not be able to file as a resident alien. If you file jointly with your wife, you will BOTH file as resident aliens and BOTH of your salaries will be combined and taxed as one.

You will each be able to claim a $3,400 personal exemption, plus your standard deduction will DOUBLE to $10,600.

If you file jointly, your wife will NOT have to file her own return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse on L2 visa not working, do I required SSN for Tax filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 visa. My wife and daughter are living with me. Both are having L2 visa. My wife is not working. I have question about tax filing. While tax filing which filing status I need to select. Also, I don't have SSN for either. When I start filing online, it ask me SSN of my wife....

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Can I get Tax benefits if my husband show as her spouse was on H4 during tax exemptio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My details: Name- deepti Status- married Visa- h4 My husband went to US from India on January 1 2007. I have also joined him. I am eager to know , will we able to get tax exemtions if he mention me as dependent . Our stay in US is till August 2007. Can we get some tax benefits.

Tax Exemption for living in NJ working outside NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a regional salesperson, live in NJ and travel extensively outside of the state of NJ. I have heard that you can apply to be exempt from paying taxes in NJ if you live in the state but spend so much time outside of the state. Is this correct? How do I go about claiming this status? How...

View more questions Search