Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 07:30 PM
    6 week old not eating
    ''I noticed that you give a lot of good tips and I haven't found any questions that match mine. Yesterday I got a puppy that I was told to be 6 weeks old. It was dropped off outside my home by a family that basically said our dog is having too many puppies and we want to get rid of them. They said they are having the mother fixed. What worries me it my puppy is too young to be away from mom. When she sleeps she makes sucking sounds and when I feed her dry food she ignores it. I'm going to try her on soft food but I was told that not a good food for puppies developing teeth... should I buy her a mothers milk supplement and try to ween her myself? The people who dropped her off said the mother was pushing them away but still feeding them herself occasionally''

First I want to thank you for taking the puppy and doing your best with it. 6 weeks is the very earliest a puppy should be removed from its mother and litter. If it was introduced to solid food at 4 weeks like it should have been, it should be eating dry puppy chow now. Going ahead with softening it with water is OK at first. Your are correct that their teeth and jaws need the dry food, but that can wait until she is eating regularly. You could try getting the food quite soft and getting some on your finger and sticking it in her mouth. Even if she had been eating dry food, the change could be too much, and she may need a day or 2 to become used to you. Keep trying and let us know how she does.

I have some general advice for new puppies starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 Towards the end, there is some material on dogs that don't eat.

Again thank you for taking her. I do hope the people do get her mother fixed. It upsets me no end that we have so many more puppies like her needing homes and so few good people like you to give them a home.

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old lab not eating [ 11 Answers ]

We got a lab that is about 3 or 4 weeks old yesterday. When we got him home, he threw up dog food. Went last night and bought him ol roy puppy food. Tried to feed him that and a bowl of water. Lapped up the water just fine, wouldn't touch the food. Later on he threw up the water (a few times)....

Seven-week old puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a new puppy a beagle and terrier mix, she is not eating as well as she did a week ago. I am concerned, is this normal behaviour? Please help. Thanks in advance.

13 Week Pekingnese Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new puppy that I borught home 4 days ago. She hasn't really been eating much. I bought the same food she was being fed at her old home and have even tried other approach. I just worry that she will beccome ill. Will if be fine to supplement her dog food dry/wet with milk replacement?

Eating... [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my dog to eat her food?

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search