Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marmalade324 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I need to lose 50 lbs as fast as possible
    Hi. I am about 50 lbs overweight, not obese but just overweight. It is so hard for me to lose weight, I have tried diets and everything. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago, I lost over 30 lbs after that but then gained back more than I lost. I broke my legs so I cannot exercise like everyone else, I can barely walk as it is.

I would love to lose 50 lbs as quickly as possible. I have felt that an eating disorder would be the easiest way of doing it but I don't want to turn to that. I have been so depressed about my weight and I just want it off me. It would be great if somebody could tell me the healthiest way to lose 50 lbs in about 3 months time, considering my physical condition of course.

Thanks!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Are you kidding?

You need to talk to your doctor, honey. There is NO proven method for losing weight that doesn't involve exercise of some sort.

An eating disorder isn't going to help you--it's like putting a bandaid on a broken arm.

Please see your doctor. I'm sure that she/he can help you come up with a healthy eating plan and some sort of exercise that can help you lose some weight.

And please--Actually LISTEN to your doctor. Losing weight isn't easy. It sucks, and it's discouraging. However... NOT listening to your doctor because it's not fun or easy to lose weight isn't going to help you, either.
    onelove327 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade324
    Hi. I am about 50 lbs overweight, not obese but just overweight. It is so hard for me to lose weight, I have tried diets and everything. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago, I lost over 30 lbs after that but then gained back more than I lost. I broke my legs so I cannot exercise like everyone else, I can barely walk as it is.

I would love to lose 50 lbs as quickly as possible. I have felt that an eating disorder would be the easiest way of doing it but I don't want to turn to that. I have been so depressed about my weight and I just want it off of me. It would be great if somebody could tell me the healthiest way to lose 50 lbs in about 3 months time, considering my physical condition of course.

Thanks!
    You see now my problem is i need to lose 50 lbs in a month - and that's just because i am going to a wedding - that's what i need to know - how can i lose 50lbs in a month?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 05:03 PM
    There is no way someone can lose 50 pounds in a month.

Onelove, you just found out about this wedding?--or have you known about it and could have lost weight long before this, but put it off?

Marmalade, two broken legs should heal within two months. This happened in the accident over a year ago? Why are you still having problems with your legs? I agree with Synnen. Your doctor is your best resource for losing weight, especially if there is still a problem with walking.
    Marmalade324 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
    I did break both of my legs a year and a half ago, but I just recently had another surgery 3 months ago. I cannot bend my legs, they are healing just fine, I just cannot bend them, I am attending physical therapy but I can barely walk.

I am going to talk to my doctor, I am just tired of being overweight.

Thanks for your advice.
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Sep 20, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I have tried diets and everything.... I lost over 30 lbs after that but then gained back more than I lost.
    Diets don't work.

Granted, that's a blanket statement, but overall, the purpose of a diet is rooted in failure. It's a temporary solution to a symptom, but it does not address what is most-often the cause of the problem.

I was in an accident about a year and a half ago, I lost over 30 lbs after that but then gained back more than I lost. I broke my legs so I cannot exercise like everyone else, I can barely walk as it is.
    This is an awful situation, and I wish you nothing but the best. I was also in a car accident back in 2005, and it ruined my training for over a year. I put on fat and lost lean mass, but there was really nothing I could do about it at the time.

My injury was temporary and I knew it, so I was okay with waiting it out until my knee, hip, and back healed. If your injury is more permanent, then you might have a different outlook and be unwilling to wait it out.

If so, continue working with your therapist. He or she will get your body strong and ready to work. In the meantime, you MUST ingest the proper supportive nutrition, or you will just ruin your metabolism.

You mentioned how you lost 30 pounds after the accident, but it piled back on... that's EXACTLY what will happen if you starve yourself, not to mention the other terrible health risks.

But you wouldn't even be considering an eating disorder if you were worried about the health risks.

So be worried about an eating disorder because it will make it even harder for you to lose weight in the future. You'll just be shooting yourself in the foot.
    Blastoff Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Sep 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
    50 pounds in a month is really pushing it. I thought I was doing great to lose 50 pounds in ten months, and that was with a lot of exercise and a complete change in diet. It would also depend on just how much you weighed to start with.

I'd also suggest seeing a doctor before I tried anything drastic.

The other thing is this. Most people who lose weight rapidly through crash dieting tend to put it right back on (and then some) within just a couple of years. If you really want to change your weight over the long run, you need to make lifestyle changes that you can live with.
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Sep 20, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Well, in all fairness, she did say 3 months and not 1 month.

It's possible to lose that much weight in that amount of time if you're carrying a great deal of mass, whether it be fat, water, or muscle tissue. But even then, LOSING the weight in that amount of time does NOT make it a good thing.

The only thing that matters is that you take the time you've got now while you're rehabbing to learn about how the body functions from a biological standpoint, and use that to fuel your future.

The good news is, in 3 months, you will FEEL better, even if you haven't lost 50 pounds. More importantly, if you do it right, you'll look better, feel more motivated because of it, and be more healthy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel I am over weight what should I do to lose the LBs [ 2 Answers ]

I am 5'4 maybe 5'5 ii weight about 165 I want to lose weight fast and ez with no crazy life altering surgery lol. What shoule I do?

Want to loose 20 lbs [ 2 Answers ]

I really want to loose 20 lbs as fast as possible is there anyway that I can do that? I don't really have the timet to exercize withc is a problem but I'm not sure what to do What is the fastest way? Please please help me out Thanks

Lose weight fast [ 1 Answers ]

You know, why is it in the gym... everyone that goes looks as if they shouldn't be there, all these lean and buff people. Well... it doesn't matter because at the end of the day whatever you look like, even attending classe, or your local gym shows that you take pride in your body, take pride in...

How to get lose weight fast [ 3 Answers ]

As I'm very fat . Suggest me some good and effective ways to lose weight...

View more questions Search