Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carebear-22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Baby heart beat
    When can they hear the baby's heart rate?? And I am having slight cramping but goes way after I use the bathroom what can this be?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:57 PM
    The baby's heart can be heard by doppler around 5 - 8 weeks.

If you are pregnant, the cramping could be related to many things... full bladder, full bowel, just to name a few.
    char1977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear-22
    when can they hear the babys heart rate???? and i am having slight cramping but goes way after i use the bathroom what can this be ??
    When you go to your midwife she should listen to the babies heart beat and you will be able to hear it as well. They usually do this from about 14-16 weeks and then every appointment after (well they did for me).
    As for the cramping I had this to and I was assured that it was were the baby is growing and is pressing on the bladder, as the bladder fills it obviously gets bigger therefore squashes against the baby so to speak! There isn't a lot of room in there!
    Your midwife will check your urine each time you go, you could maybe have a water infection. Make sure you tell your midwife or dr about this problem so they can check your urine.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    The baby's heart can be heard by doppler around 5 - 8 weeks.

If you are pregnant, the cramping could be related to many things.... full bladder, full bowel, just to name a few.
    Just to add to J's great knowledge... although it isn't uncommon to not hear it until 12-14 weeks... esp. if you have a retroverted uterus, as I do :)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
    If your in the uk the midwife won't even try with a doppler till after 9 weeks some refuse till 12 weeks for the reason Al says and the fact its quite hard to detect with a handheld doppler while baby is below the pelvic bone.
    Its different with a ultrasound machine though if you are lucky enough to receive and early scan they will normally let you hear it then.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Yes, with my current pregnancy, we saw the heartbeat on u/s at 5 weeks, but I was unable to hear it via doppler until 14 weeks. Unless there is cause for concern, My doctor won't even see you until you are at least 10 weeks along...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heart To Heart (BBC News) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello fellow AMHD Devotees, Just thought I'd share this news story with everyone as I thought it was pretty fantastic! BBC NEWS | Health | Woman face-to-face with own heart Goes to show how important organ donation can be! :) And this one, that literally made my skin crawl;

How to beat impound fees? [ 4 Answers ]

My best friend car was sitting on the street in los angeles and LAPD impounded it because it did not have recent tags. The storage was so high that I did not get the car and now they have sold my car and am asking for $600.00. What can I do to get impound storage and towing to leave me alone? She...

Got beat up, not doing so well emotionally. [ 5 Answers ]

About a little more than a month ago I was jumped by three guys at school and I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with it, I broke my jaw and received a consussion during the fight, the guys were arrested and we are going to sue and all that but it still odesnt help. I know they will get in some...

Beat the amortization [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my 10th grd math teacher asked us to write a paper about beating the amortizations on debt... but all I have been able to come up with is the meaning of it... and several amortization calculators, but these aren't telling me what I need. Does anyone know any thing about this?? :confused:

Can't find baby's heart beat [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is brandy I found out I was pregnet jan 12 my boyfriend and I are very happy last night I started spoting browinish not a lot then it changed to red and kept changing back and forth I went to the dr at the er and they did 3 ultra sounds one internal and can not find the baby's...

View more questions Search