Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Reality of Death
    "As men, we are all equal in the presence of death"
    Publilius Syrus

"Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean. "
    -David Searls

"Death--- the last sleep? No the final awakening."
    ---Walter Scott

I was just looking through some of these quotes on death and wondered,
    How do you view death?Is it the end or the beginning in some way?

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT::::Also what do you believe lies beyond death?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
    I believe it's a continuation and maturation of who I am now.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Wondergirl,
    You do have a way with words.

"continuation and maturation",is a good way to put it...
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
    I think it is the beginning and the end.
    The end of this life as we know it.
    The beginning of a new life.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeny
    I think it is the beginning and the end.
    The end of this life as we know it.
    The beginning of a new life.
    I think I could relate to that... it certainly is an end to this life we know.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:44 AM
    I think death leads us to the real final frontier. There is life after death and depending on our life here on Earth, it will be decided where we spend eternity. We can do all the good things for others that gain us accolades but that is not our measure.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:45 AM
    This sums it up for me:

"Death, the most dreaded of evils, is therefore of no concern to us; for while we exist death is not present, and when death is present we no longer exist." - Epicurus.

I think that death will be the end of existence.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:47 AM
    I believe that when we die we cease to exist as a conscious being. I actually really like this thought although I know many don't at all -my brother for example always looks really sad when I say it.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 17, 2007, 06:25 AM
    I'd really, really like to believe there is something else when you die... but thinking logically about it, I can't see that there is!

I think that's a very bleak and tough idea for humans to get their heads around... nothingness!

Sep 17, 2007, 08:51 AM
    So you guys don't believe we are more than this phisical body?
    Do you think we have no soul?
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
    We have something that we characterise as a soul, sure. But to me it's nothing more than part of the body, like an arm or a leg.

I don't know what you mean by "you guys". I speak for only myself.

Sep 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Have you ever lost a loved one?
    If so how do you find comfort. I mean that's what keeps me going.
    If I thought that there was nothing else and that person I loved is just nothing, it would be so much harder to cope.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Yes I've lost loved ones. I find plenty of comfort in my memories of them. That's the place where true life after death exists, in the memories of those who you have touched.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Yeah I've lost loved ones, I am at peace knowing they cannot suffer anymore. I feel I live more in the present as I am not preparing for a tomorrow that (probably in my opinion) will never happen. One life, not retribution, no saviour, no damnation, nothing other than this so I better make the best use of it whilst I can. Once I learnt to accept this it was very liberating not depressing at all.

Everyone's brain works differently though. I happy to know people believe what makes them happy whatever it is and however alien it is to my own beliefs.

Sep 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Everyone's brain works differently though. I happy to know people believe what makes them happy whatever it is and however alien it is to my own beliefs.[/QUOTE]
    This is true. Thanks for sharing.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeny
    So you guys dont believe we are more than this phisical body?
    do you think we have no soul?
    I believe we are more than a physical body, that there is a soul.
    A soul which does not cease to exist with our deaths.

I believe the soul exists in an intermediary place (Barzakh) until the Day of resurrection.

P.S
    I am sorry for all your losses templelane and capuchin.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I believe it will be the end when we die. It is nice to think that we could go on to a better place but reason gets in the way and I find it very difficult to see that there could be anything else afterwards.

We are all lucky to be who we are and should cherish the time we have here.

In my mind I can see why religion has developed over the years and I understand why people follow it. People need a reason for being here and a comfort for the thought of dying. The thought that there isn't actually an afterlife is very disturbing but I don't believe that there is a reason for our existence other than chance/inevitability. Sad but true?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    I believe it will be the end when we die. It is nice to think that we could go on to a better place but reason gets in the way and I find it very difficult to see that there could be anything else afterwards.

We are all lucky to be who we are and should cherish the time we have here.

In my mind I can see why religion has developed over the years and I understand why people follow it. People need a reason for being here and a comfort for the thought of dying. The thought that there isn't actually an afterlife is very disturbing but I don't believe that there is a reason for our existance other than chance/inevitability. Sad but true?
    Could you explain the "reason",behind your choice to not believe in an afterlife?

Thanks,
    Just curious as I believe differently (as you may already know).
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 17, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I don't need a reason not to believe, I need a reason to believe and I can't find one. You don't just start believing something for no reason - do you?

If there were a God who monitored us and judged us at the end then I would expect there to be more reasons to follow his will than some guy telling me what God wants. Why should any other human tell another human what God wants, cannot God speak for himself?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    I don't need a reason not to believe, I need a reason to believe and I can't find one. You don't just start believing something for no reason - do you?

If there were a God who monitored us and judged us at the end then I would expect there to be more reasons to follow his will than some guy telling me what God wants. Why should any other human tell another human what God wants, cannot God speak for himself?
    You have a point there, I do not believe for no reason either,but my reasoning may not be what you are really looking for.

I think some do not find the reason to believe because most have already made up their minds to not believe,but I do think that if one were to have an open mind and look at my faith (I say this because I believe/know it is the TRUTH)without prejudice,one sees reasons to believe.

About God showing reasons for us to believe, I find many signs around me to believe.And the other thing is God does not lose when we do not believe in Him.

I will stop here as it might seem like I am preaching,which I am not,but wishing to explain what I see and believe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The what if or reality ? [ 2 Answers ]

So this is the question that's been killing me the most... my and my boyfriend have been tog for a while now... I was pregnant but recently found out that I had a miscarriage.. very heart breaking to me but yet I can not feel that same emotion from him.. he already wanted the pregency terminated,...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Ultimate Reality [ 3 Answers ]

Rewriting the Reality Code The Quantum Power of Living From The Answer Copyright © Gregg Braden Reprinted with permission from Mystic Pop Magazine, Nov/Dec Issue 2006 Gregg Braden » Home “What strange beings we are!” noted the 13th Century mystic Rumi, “That sitting in Hell at the bottom...

View more questions Search