Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixiecup78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 11:05 AM
    My comp cannot connect to my linksys wireless router
    I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop the signal constantly at first and now will not connect at all. It is set up with wep 128 security and I've tried to manually connect to no avail
    I can connect with any other network in range with no problems and I'm about to throw my comp through a window! Any ideas??

Corey
    steve55121 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiecup78
    I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop the signal constantly at first and now will not connect at all. It is set up with wep 128 security and i've tried to manually connect to no avail
    I can connect with any other network in range with no problems and I'm about to throw my comp through a window!! Any ideas????

Corey
    I would try re setting your linksys router. This could be an issue with your key you are using. I would 1st leave it wide open and see if you can connect. I have seen issues with different security settings. If you can connect without security. Lower your encryption and try another password.

You can reset your linksys by using the little reset button on the back of the unit.

-Steve
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I really think that Linksys should be able to help you -- 1-800-326-7114

If this helps, please rate my answer
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 16, 2007, 08:44 PM
    I'm not sure about that specific model, but thre may be a setting in the configuration page, I believe it's under 'Advanced Settings' under the wireless options, that says signal strength.

You could also try aligning your antenna on the router differently. I've heard (though not confirmed) that if you have it horizontally, rather than vertically, that it will help laptops connect, but then you have to have the antenna on desktops face the same way, or your signal strength will be diminished. It couldn't hurt to check... you should be able to just spin it around a little until it's sideways instead of straight up, but make sure it's still tight.
    lexy_08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 04:34 AM

What's the operating system of your laptop?
    Is the desktop experiencing the same thing?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexy_08 View Post
    What's the operating system of your laptop?
    Is the desktop experiencing the same thing?
    Don't expect an answer back on a two year old post.
    adouza Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Oct 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
    This is quiet old post. Please follow this link if any one is looking for help and support Linksys router setup

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I get internet connect through my wireless router? [ 6 Answers ]

I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts...

Trying to connect D-Link router through a Linksys. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a D-Link DI-604 that I want to hookup my TiVo and XBox up to, and that router is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4. The D-Link doesn't seem to be able to connect through the Linksys to get onto the internet. What needs to be changed to get this working?

Linksys router configuration [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Linksys wireless router. I have one desktop and laptop I am able to access the Internet when I hardwired my laptop / desktop to Modem. (which is what is there now). . I want to connect my laptop in "wireless" mode to the router and access internet. I tried accessing...

Is it possible to connect 2 wireless laptops to the router [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I find this wireless connection thing confusing, I have two laptops, one is using an onbourd wireless card whilst the other is using a linksys wpc11 notebook adapter, is it at all possible to wirelessly connect these two laptops straight to the wireless router? Thanks jrh

Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their...

View more questions Search